Geneva Conventions? What Geneva Conventions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jun 20, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5094082.stm

They're doing it again: you MAY NOT cut off water and electricity supplies - tenuous as they may be - to a civilian population in furtherance of military/political objectives. I thought the GCs were now required reading matter for US troops. Does this not apply to the Generals?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No see, the Geneva Conventions only apply to other people, not us. Like say if our soldiers are captured, we expect them to be treated according to the spirit and letter of the GC. But when we put a sleeping bag over someone and beat the **** out of them until they die, that's OK. Or say if we leave a prisoner chained naked to the floor of a concrete cell in the middle of winter and they happen to die before someone checks on them, that's not torture. But if someone ELSE does it, then it's torture.

When we make naked guy-piles out of prisoners, it's nothing worse than a fraternity prank. When someone else does it, it's torture, and a violation of the GC.

Get it straight!

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

A fraternity prank that landed the smiling frat bros (that stood behind the naked-guy pile in the pictures) 10 and 3 years in prision, respectively.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm referring to Rush Limbaugh's characterization of the event.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The U.S. govt has a double standard on everything. I allway laugh when i hear George talk about freedom & Liberty yet this man has done more to tear down the Constitution and Bill of rights then any recent President. Geneva convention doesnt apply to insurgents so just label everyone you meet a insurgent. Isnt that what they are doing?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, only to his 20 million or so daily listeners.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thankfully the thoughts of his 20 million or so daily listeners don't seen to matter much in military courts.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Right, just as Rove's lies to the public didn't matter in civilian courts. What was your point?

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

My point was that the idiots behind the human pyramid were punished by the military.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't think they were. Some low-ranking soldiers took the blame.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oh, you mean the ones that did the actual abuse?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No I mean the ones in the chain of command who allowed the abuse to take place.

Are you being deliberately obtuse to make some kind of point?

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

The Army filed criminal charges against the second-in-command (officer) at Abu Ghraib a month or two ago, no?

One of the dog handlers was sentenced to 60-days hard labor earlier this month.

The investigation and punishment appears (in my eyes, anyway) to still be on-going, and it doesn't appear that just "some low-ranking soldiers took the blame", so I'm trying to figure out if there's anything other than partisian hate that you're basing your thoughts on.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

I don't know. Do you feel that the UK troops accused of abuse in Iraq represent the totality of your military?

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my military? i'm not from the uk, mate.

but anyways, no, i don't think that all the US or UK troops are bad. i'd guess it's a small %. in a way, i'd even say that some of the ones involved aren't "bad", but were rather young, dumb, and afraid of what the consequences might be of not obeying their higher ups...

i do however believe that the system of torture is more systemic than a few pfc's and maybe one token second in command at a single jail... but if the investigation is still ongoing (years later), then i'll wait til it's totally done, and people like rumsfeld are retired and living the high life before i bitch about it anymore, ok?

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes.

[​IMG]

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What about the CIA interrogators? Several peole have died in their custody. Any charges, let alone punishment? AFAIK, no one of a rank higher than sargeant has been charged with anything -- and there have been tons of allegations of abuse.

While there may be some investigations still ongoing, they aren't aimed at determining whether or not anyone higher up either gave the order, or turned their eyes away from the abuse that we know occured.

My thoughts are based on upholding the honor of the vast majority of American soldiers who perform their duties admirably. I don't appreciate your insinuation that I am using soldiers for political gain. That's a tactic of the right.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

point of clarification: is the tactic
    1. using soldiers for political gain
    b. accusing others of the same, or
    iii. both?

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Both really, but I was speaking mainly of #1.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think it's a tactic of scumbags... while i, admittedly, don't have evidence, i would guess that the left has misused the troops in the past too. it just so happens that a lot of the right in this country right now are scumbags.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh certainly. The Vietnam era comes to mind.

However, as we've learned from certain posters regarding the Israeli-Palestinian mess, you can draw an arbitrary line at a certain point in history and say that anything that happened prior to then doesn't count...

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok fair enough. will keep that in mind. ;)

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wow. How I thought you were in the UK is beyond me. Sorry about that. :)

Then what was the point of the "few bad apples" comment? To me, it meant that you thought that majority of the military troops were bad. :confused:

If Rumsfeld is retired before the investigation is finished, if he's implicated, he can still be tried. Yay. :)