Geneva Motor Show

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Mar 3, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Some very dandy stuff here... Audi lookin' damn fine as usual...

And BMW are doing really, really well translating Rolls-Royce's brand values... good stuff!

Also interesting article here on the subject...

Especially regarding the difficulties of VW...

Personally I think they're in the sh*t big time, (I don't mean as in folding) they've spread themselves too thinly by taking on too many companies (why take on SEAT and Skoda, and then make them significantly more expensive that then compete with your own models) or Bugatti which has always been a troubled car maker, and things ain't going to change even with the Veyron...

But also failing in it's own product ranges, especially the Phaeton (is anyone really going to buy a river barge for the road??) and the new Golf, which is really getting a good kicking and it's only just been released... and a beating that will only more severe when the new Astra and Focus appear, never mind the 1 Series.

Thoughts on either of the above... :)
  2. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    def lovin' this Alfa 8C Competizione... lush... very lush indeed! :D
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Hmm...but there's a small problem, it's an Alfa :eek: It'll fall appart or the electronics will go.
  4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    that's old Alfa... new Alfa's are lush, seriously tactile cars... but when they look this good... mmmmmmmm :)

now compare the 8C with that Supra thingy in another thread... which will pull more ladies... heheh ;)
  5. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jun 6, 2003
    Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    Hey, Gav - I think you might be right about VW encountering some trouble lately. My wife and I had a pair of '01 Golfs and we absolutely loved 'em. Hers was the GTI 2 door, mine the TDI 4 door (I had a 60 mile commute at the time...) - fun to drive, great to look at, classy interiors, and in the GTI's case at least, a rather stealthy rocket. We recently had our first child, so out went the Golfs and in came a '03 Jetta wagon. What a disappointment. The 2.0l engine is a dog compared to the turbo, the interior looks kinda stripped (no center console, crummy radio, cheap feeling door pockets...), and we've had some issues with an oil leak, a stuck horn (is there anything more embarassing in traffic?), and a blown right rear tail light. (Curiously, I replaced the right rear tail light twice in the GTI and once in the TDI....)

Before this wagon, I've had nothing but positive experiences. I was really hoping that they get around to making that Boxter-looking roadster thingie, too (Car and Driver?). The wife would kill for a Toureg. I think the next few years are going to be very indicative of what the future holds. There's some serious competition out there right now and some better stuff on the way, so I guess we'll just wait and see!

Of course, my daily driver is an '89 944S2, so I get to work each day with a smile on my face....

Just my .02.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    That'll look great when you're standing on the side of the road in the rain trying to get someone to stop. :D

VW will continue--it would take quite a while for anything to affect their current momentum. Eventually, they'll sort it.