genie effect is screwed up, finder crashes (screenshot included)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tekmoe, Dec 10, 2005.

1. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    on my gf's powerbook, when she tries to minimize a window, 25% of the time it will get stuck.

the windows stays like that until you try to do something else. then it disappears and goes to the bottom like it should. i have no idea why the hell it does this.

also, her finder will crash quite often. eternal beachball and we end up having to reboot the f*cking thing.

i have created a new profile for her and copied her ical, itunes, and iphoto data. i have my own profile on this laptop and i have NEVER had this problem. i am thinking there is something in her profile that is causing it to screw up. it's really pissing me off and i am unsure of what to do.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Well, I'd start by repairing permissions if you haven't already and then move onto removing preference files, in particular and which will both need a restart (or a log out/log in) afterwards. :)
  3. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    the genie effect getting stuck happens when the dock resets. you know that happens when the dock disappears for a second and comes back, if it does that right when u minimize it will freeze it.