Genius Bar... do I have to make a reservation?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diehldun, Sep 24, 2005.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Hi there.

This is going to be my (unfortunately) first time taking my powerbook to the Apple Store. It seems to be suffering from a ridiculously-slow airport connection, and I suspect that there might be something wrong inside.

The Apple Store near my house is now closed, so I plan on going tomorrow mornng. But if I try to get there as early as possible (opens at 11:00 AM), do I still have to make a Genius Bar reservation before I go? Or can I just show up (since I am bringing my powerbook along too)?

Sorry, it's just that I've had no experience whatsoever with the Genius Bar system :eek:

Thanks for any replies!

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

You can make a reservation or you can walk in. If you walk in you may have to wait a little bit before they will see you

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

you can sign up over the internet. Go to apple.com/retail, find your store's page, and sign up for it.

Or, you can get there when you want to, and sign up from a Mac in the store. Since you'll be there on a sunday, the crowd may be a little smaller.

Either way, it's all good. Hope your problems get worked out! :)

4. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Making a reservation for the Genius bar depends on wether or not you have ProCare. If you do, then you can make a reservation online 7 days in advance. Otherwise, you have to wait till the store opens to go online and make a reservation.

That early though (depending on the popularity of the store) I doubt there will be much of a wait so you can go and make an instore reservation at any of the computers in the store by click the Genius Bar icon on the desktop.

But simply - a reservation MUST be made, yet it can be made in the store.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i thought you needed procare to do that? :confused:

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yeah, you need procare.

You can even reserve your favorite genius.

I'm just waiting until I have $99 for it.. I have a genius I'll reserve every time. He's a dumb punk but he knows how to help, haha. :p

7. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, because I guess the Apple Store is closed, so apple.com won't let me reserve right now, until tomorrow until they open.

so i guess i'll just arrive there extra early tomorrow and sign up before the zoo comes.

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I hope the crowd isn't smelly.

I know those geniuses can be.

/wtf?
    //I am le tired
    ///and just ate something spicy
    ////I shouldn't be allowed to post after 10 PM

**edit**
    because zoos smell.
    I'm not saying everyone smells
    most people smell quite nice.
    well not EVERYONE
    but you know
    zoo = turtles and crocodiles
    zoo of people = smells like turtles and crocodiles?

9. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Sorry I wrote AppleCare, meant Procare.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish you the best of luck on both counts. Hope that you will post a progress report. ;)

11. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well! I am SO impressed with the Genius Bar service! I got there as early as I could, and the Genius helped me step-by-step, resetting the computer, etc. It's all as good as new now :)

Apple's service is just unbelievable. And yes, it was already packed by the time I left, mostly because of the Nano :D

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yup! That's how the genius bar rolls.

Just wait until you're on a first-name basis with them and they tell you that "No mac should have this many problems.. I think it's USER ERROR!" and then they point at you and laugh.

That's the sweet spot of genius bar.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. :)

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very happy to hear that all went well with your visit to the Genius Bar.

I have had the same experience. They are awesome.

14. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

What exactly do you mean by resetting the computer? Reloading the OS? Re-installing the AirPort Software? What? Just curious as to what exactly they did.

15. proverbs macrumors 6502

so if i wanted to make an appointment at the genuis bar, i would have to go on the apple website the day i can go and hope that they have a time slot for me at that time i need (if i am not a ProCare member)?
    the only time i have off is friday morning and saturday evenings. hopefully it will work.
    how much is a procare membership anyways? do u get other benefits from it?

16. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Procare = $99.

Uh, you aren't at a set time. It's not a real appointment. It's just a place-in-line getter.
    I've found that if I show up around 1, I'm geniused by 1:30 (gives me time to play on the PMs DROOL!) and if I'm being particularly annoying, I'd be out by 2:30 (well, today was a 2-hour long genius bar visit.. that was stupidly long)

You can sign up at any mac in the store, too.