Genius doens't work for all songs .

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shingi70, May 2, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2010
    I keep updating genius but it still doesn't work for any of my daft punk but it recognizes the lesser known band justice. I mean it works for nearly all my hip-hop and most of my rock.

I only have two imixes so far

Indie Rock- Phoenix,cobra starship, death cab for cutie, the dead weather, Lady Hawke ETC.

Hip-Hip mix- Kid Cudi,Kayne west, wale, etc.

But genius mixes and playlist don't work for certain artist.

Daft Punk
    The Crystal Method
    broken bells- the CD is an itunes LP
  2. TEG
    macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    I have the same problem with it recognizing "The Beatles" or "Garth Brooks" songs. I believe that the Genius only works for artists/songs available in the iTunes Store. TEG
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2010

The only problem is the music i listed was from the itunes store.
  4. macrumors 65816

Jan 10, 2006
    Can't check Broken Bells right now, but those above work for me. :confused:
  5. macrumors newbie

May 3, 2010
    I'm not sure if this is the same issue you are having, but I've noticed that songs I download directly on my iPhone 3GS then transfer into iTunes on my pc at the next sync don't seem to ever get into the Genius mix, even after multiple attempts to "update Genius", even turning Genius off and back on.

The strange thing is that I can create a Genius playlist on the song through iTunes on my pc, I can create a Genius list based on the song (after syncing) on my iPod Nano, but still could not create a Genius list for that song on my iPhone. For an experiment, I deleted the song everywhere (iPhone, iPod, and iTunes), then purchased it again through iTunes on my pc (wasting $0.99, but oh well), synced it to my iPhone, and voila, now Genius for that song works everywhere. Makes me not want to buy anything directly on my iPhone, at least until they fix the glitch.
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2010
    so they show up in genius mixex and can have playlist created for them.
  7. macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    You need to make sure your music is tagged properly if it’s not purchased from the iTunes Store. In fact, on some songs I had to manually edit them to match the iTunes equivalent exactly.

A similar problem occurs with album artwork.

By the way, The Beatles and Garth Brooks work fine for me.

Attached Files:

8. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2010
    I see your point but i bought the music from the itunes store.
  9. macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2008
    The software is good but it is still in a state where it could be approved.
  10. macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    That's weird. I would try removing them from iTunes (don't delete them from your hard drive!) and reimporting them into iTunes.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2010
    I bought Broken Bells album from iTunes and it says it can't find genius information. Even after updating my Genius info.
  12. macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2008
    Broken Bells Broken

Has anyone actually gotten Broken Bells to work with Genius? Come on, there's a ton of related songs in my library. I bought Broken Bells from iTunes - with iTunes LP no less. I've tried turning Genius off and on again, re-importing the songs. They've just received a Grammy nomination! Come on, Apple!
  13. macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2006
    I haven't tried Broken Bells, but I know that "Tighten Up" by the Black Keys doesn't work, even though it's the most popular iTunes track from that album.

Genius is okay when it works, but it's frustrating when it doesn't.
  14. macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2008
    Broken Bells still not working for me... WTFFFF
  15. macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2008
    Gahhhhhhhh I was really hoping iTunes Match would fix this. Nope :mad: