GenPets: Genetically Modified Pets

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by im_to_hyper, Jun 19, 2006.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Genpets are living, breathing mammals. Bio-Genica is a Bioengineering Company that has combined, and modified existing DNA to create the Genpets lineup. Genpets are flesh and blood just like any other animal... Genpets are designed to be sold on retail store shelves, not traditional pet stores. This is why they are packaged in plastic.

The website here is a link from Digg.com.

Link

It should be noted that most sites have dismissed this as a hoax, which it is, but this really got my feathers ruffled for a few moments, what about you guys?

2. vniow macrumors G4

That. Is. Hilarious. Reminds of of the Bonsai Kitten fiasco a couple years back.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apparently the guy who put this all together has made some "robotic" versions of them that appear to be alive and actually put them in some stores windows. Classic.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Bonsai Kittens were hilarious, I can't believe how many people didn't realize it was a hoax!

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

People are damn gullible for this kind of crap. I'd love to see people who actually believe it...:D

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

I'm certain Wal Mart is in negotiations to become the exclusive retailer.

7. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Even as a joke, that's just plain creepy and makes me want to shed a tear.

8. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Agreed. Just looking at their site makes me wonder what kind of world we are living in. I mean, you can buy them with a 1 or 3 year set lifespan, and they're alive? WHAT THE HOLY FU**ING S**T IS WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE? I'm sorry if I'm "overreacting," but if this is real, they could do the same to humans. Make what I would dub "worker drones." Lol I may sound crazy but those thoughts just flew through my head. I apologize.:mad: :rolleyes: :p :D :eek: :(

But seriously... would you look like this kid if you had just gotten some biotechnically engineered naked rat thing that is set to die in one year?
    [​IMG]

How about this kid, hugging this computer controlled lifeform on IVY support until you open the vacuum-sealed oxygen-less plastic packaging, hinting there should be no life, since they claim "IT" is hibernating? ERM... Think about it.
    [​IMG]

WTF is it even supposed to be?

I'm seriously very disturbed and disgusted.

I want to cry. I'm not even kidding.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I can well imagine this happening in the not too distant future but what is this website supposed to achieve? Some sort of viral marketing? I can't find links to an actual product.

10. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

This is really disgusting. I don't find anything funny about it.

11. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I don't think it's been made to sell you anything. It looks to me like it's meant to raise a bit of awareness about the ethics surrounding genetic engineering and get people thinking about it.

They really have gone through a lot of effort for the site though.

12. iGav macrumors G3

I do hope... that if they ever start 'creating' something like this, that they at least make it furry, like a Mogwai... but without all those rules, those would be a pain in the arse.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Folks,

THESE ARE NOT REAL!

The guy's an artist...check out his web site here.

14. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I posted that in white beneath my original post so see if anyone would notice... guess not.

"It should be noted that most sites have dismissed this as a hoax, which it is, but this really got my feathers ruffled for a few moments, what about you guys?"

Thought I would share my moment of "freaking out" with everyone else. :D

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I will have to say kildraik's post made me laugh even harder

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Oh, c'mon. The "fresh strip" on the packaging is funny. :D

Lethal

17. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Straight over your head.

18. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I'm with you on that one. Maybe it's a hoax now, but I could see this happening in the future

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if you cross-bred an elephant with a pot-bellied pig?

;)

20. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

A giant, tasty thing that everyone would want to find on the storeshelves in packages that say "elebacon".

21. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Priceless! I was expecting something actually feasable. The commercialization of a LIVE pet in an air-tight plastic seal! The 1 yr v. 3 yr lifespan models. ROFLMAO! I may have to snap the neck of my "no forwards" rule.

Thanks for the thread, completely made my morning. :D

22. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I never thought about genetic engineering along those lines. Even though one day something like this may be possible, I do not think anyone would be foolish enough to sell a living creature in such a callous manner. What does seem more likely is genetic engineering of common pets. To remove genetic disorders, improve physical/mental abilities and increase life spans.

Though I would prefer not to see any of this come to fruition, commercially, during my life time. This article makes me want to switch totally to organic foods, I'm already half way there. It's just difficult to get organic beef in the grocery store.

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Genetically engineered pets are already here. GloFish have been on the market for several years now, and hypoallergenic cats are on the way.

24. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

I can't tell if he was being serious or if it's more satire. :confused:

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... AFAIK, you can buy earthworm "seeds" as well as many of the beneficial garden insects in nice tidy shipped-in-the-mail packages already.