Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I keep a tight ship on my iTunes library with Artists and Albums correctly tagged, album art embedded, the correct year labeled (perfect for creating smart playlists for the decade you're in the mood for)... I even have lyrics for almost all my songs.....but alas, a well kept genres list seems to elude me.

I've done some Googling around but I haven't found a solution to this. Does anybody know of a Genre analyzer or if that's even possible?

It would be great if there were an app that could comb your library and tag your songs with the correct genre.

While I'm at it, is there a BPM analyzer that would do the same but for beats-per-minute?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't rely on automated methods for genres. The problem is, depending on the source, the genre for any given artist, album or song could be one of a dozen or more variations. This would result in hundreds of genres in my library, making it impossible for me to search based on genre and find what I want. I prefer to use my own definitions so the genres are meaningful to me.

Example: is a Michael Jackson song:
Rock
Pop
R&B
Dance
Motown
Soul
Soft Rock
Psychedelic Soul
Blues
Pop/Rock
Pop-Rock/R&B
Disco
Funk
Pop/R&B/Ballad
Dance-Pop
Post-Disco
Dance/Pop​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.