Gentoo Offers PPC LiveCDs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by vniow, Jun 3, 2003.

1. macrumors G4

Similar to Knoppix for the x86 platform, Gentoo has announced a bootable LiveCD version of their distro, specifically for the PPC platform.

I've tried out Knoppix on my PC and it was pretty cool, definately not without its bugs though and it does like its RAM (I only have 256MB) but it was a good way to experiment with Linux and just see what it was without risking your previous OS install.

2. macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm definately going to have to try this out. Thanks for the link. :)

3. macrumors member

I'm downloading it right now.
    I've been wanting to use Linux again since I dropped my x86 for my Powerbook, but I didn't want to mess up my OSX installation if something goes wrong.

4. macrumors regular

As soon as my Rev B bondi comes in, I'm loading it with some flavor of linux....I want to put Gentoo on it, but the installation is very hard compared to everything else out there.

5. macrumors newbie

Gentoo is hard to install, but it really is a pleasure to use. It was teh first distro I got to see Gnome on a PPC platform before :eek:

6. macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i kept getting kernel panics when trying to start x in anything more than 8 colors. x does NOT look good in only 8 colors.