Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
LOLZOR!!!

...but really...if someone were interested enough that they would want a cow skeleton, they'd prolly do it themselves...

DevilDog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
Dude, we had to PRESSURE WASH THE FLESH OFF OF ITS BONES!!! It took 30 hours. It had decomposed for like 4 months in my dad's barn. It died giving birth. Not too easy to find that or do that...

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Neat idea...

except the specimens bought for classroom use are well cleaned and bleached, sometimes coated too. $400 is too much for an incomplete skeleton that isnt cleaned and treated properly.

DevilDog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
We cleaned it, boiled it, and bleached it. There are oil spots, like stains on the bones and stuff. It has all bones but the carpals. So yeah, it's not professional laboratory test stuff but a lot of people could learn a lot from it. Plus, where else are you gonna get one of these??? ;)

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I believe that it would cost a lot more if you were to go to one of the professionals. Did anyone see the dirty jobs were they cleaned the flesh off the bones and put it through all of the processes. It's a very expensive and time consuming process so I don't think $400 is that bad...

Nuc

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I do it all the time with pig heads , and occasionally other animal heads. Its smelly and time consuming but not difficult. Deflesh first then simmer off the rest of the tissues, clean with fine tools, soak in 3% peroxide solution for 2 hours , dry. Done.

I have done entire bears, pigs, horses and cows, takes about 3 days from start to finish. If you are going to let it decompose make sure its exposed to the air, flies and other insects will take care of the flesh in a matter of days.
then simmer for a couple hours, bleach and dry.
the Drying stage is the one most people mess up on and you get greasy soft bones the rot slowly over time. Looking at the pictures on ebay some of the bones show these characteristics.

DevilDog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
We used peroxide too, plus a myriad of chemicals to fully clean the skeleton. Our teacher LOVED it. You have to admit, Leareth, not bad for two high school students. :D

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Great work, DevilDog.

How would you intend to ship said skeleton? My dog would love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.