Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Truth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
at my wits end (in Australia)
Does anyone know why some computers have a geometry tab in the display preferences and some don't? Even with exactly the same monitor attached and the same operating system, a G4 Powermac has the tab when a G5 doesn't.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
ATI cards will have it, Nvidia's won't

It's hidden on the PBs because obviously rotating your display doesn't make sense (holding Option and clicking on the Display box will reveal it though on PBs with ati cards).

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
see attachment

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 324

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
Umm, I believe that the Geometry is available IF AND ONLY IF:

1. The display is a CRT (LCDs are digital and have to geometry controls)

--AND--

2. The display is built-in (Can't control external displays)

It's not an Nvidia/ATI issue

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
zakatov said:

--AND--

So just the eMac then?

alangyssler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
Woah. Okay, I have a 1.2 iBook from last May, or thereabouts. I went to the display preferences, and held down the aformentioned "option" key, and what appeared is the following:

Rotate:
• Standard
• 90°
• 180°
• 270°

So I tried it, and sure enough, everthing changed direction... my display was in portrait mode, and then upside down! I got sorta freaked when I went to change it back, and the drop down had disappeared. So I closed System Preferences, and went back through the same motions, and was able to put it back.

Attached is a screenshot.

Is this what you're referring to as "geometry" or is there something more that I'm not seeing? This is so freaking cool! I wish I could think of a practical application of it, without having to turn my laptop on its side, or laying down to view it in portrait mode. I used to work for a newspaper, and this would have been huge with our new 20" DVI displays.

I'd heard (or read, rather) rumors about Apple monitors being able to rotate, and potentially sense the rotation, and redraw the screen accordingly, but haven't actually seen it in action. This is so sweet. Gotta remember this one.

Any other Option key preferences, or other OS X.4 easter eggs? I know about the terminal games, but anything else?

Attached is a screenshot of my display in portrait mode. Please believe that this is NOT at all PhotoShopped. Weird thing is that it rotates it, so when opening the screenshot, it's oriented correctly. However, when taking a screenshot of the 180° rotation, it just appears as the screen normally does. I assume this is because the dimensions of the displayed image don't change, and is just simply rotated an additional 180° to be oriented correctly.

No wonder I'm barefoot. OS 10.4 rocks my socks off!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 233

The Truth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
at my wits end (in Australia)
zakatov said:

--AND--

Nup, nup, nup sorry. The whole point of this thread was that a G4 PowerMac was able to control an Apple 21" CRT's geometry (height, width, keystone, convergence etc). A G5 with ATI Radeon 9600 however, can not. I want to know if there is some software that can do it.

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
The Truth said:
Nup, nup, nup sorry. The whole point of this thread was that a G4 PowerMac was able to control an Apple 21" CRT's geometry (height, width, keystone, convergence etc). A G5 with ATI Radeon 9600 however, can not. I want to know if there is some software that can do it.
well, does that CRT use ADC, VGA or DVI?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
alangyssler said:
Is this what you're referring to as "geometry" or is there something more that I'm not seeing? This is so freaking cool

Alan, it is cool, but they are talking about adjustments for things like parallelogram and pincushion on CRTs. Those kinds of adjustments have no analog (haha) in LCDs....

PS...regarding your screenshot, if I understand you correctly, when you go back to landscape mode, the screenshot still shows up in Preview, etc, with the long dimension vertical. This is because the image is tagged with an orientation. If you look at the screenshot with the display rotated to portrait mode, then you should see that the image has its long axis in the same orientation as the long axis of the monitor (so sideways, if you're looking at the notebook head on, or oriented correctly if you've positioned yourself to match the screen). So it's all self-consistent. It's very similar to what happens when you take a picture with a digital camera sideways. Usually, when you import them, they will rotate onscreen (and on the display on the back of the camera) so that they remain correctly oriented. :)

alangyssler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
well, no longer can i show off the coolness of rotating the orientation of the monitor on my iBook (which, if for no other reason is cool because it makes people go "huh?!?") as i've lost the ability to get the "geometry" setting within 10.4.2. didn't try it in 10.4.1, but i think the update is what squashed it. unless, of course someone snuck into my room while i was asleep, and replaced my video card in my iBook without me noticing... but i doubt that's it.

anyone else missing this option? i wish i had it... again, just to feel cooler than i really am.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The Truth said:
I'm blown away! I just re-arranged my desk. In doing so I unplugged my monitor. When I plugged it back in, I HAD THE GEOMETRY TAB AGAIN!!!!! I'm confused but thanks everyone.
Glad you got your problem solved--perhaps it was just a loose VGA connection? Actually, I've also noticed that if you have the monitor powered off when you boot the Mac it may not recognize the display; perhaps you did it in a different order this time, and that's why it worked. Worth trying if your geometry tab disappears in the future.

Interestingly enough, I believe the NVIDIA conrol panel on Windows can adjust the geometry of a newish CRT in software, so this is not a unique feature. I wonder if that tab will show up on a compatible non-Apple CRT, or if it's limited to Apple displays? I know it wasn't present with the previous CRT monitor that I owned, but that was several years old so may not have been "remote control" compatible or whatever.

sammymac

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
To any one who can help me,,,

I have a :apple: imac g3 and i have connected a second screen using a vga. :)

but it seems to just mirror my screen, how do i turn this off? and just have more room for dock? :rolleyes:

in later macs it has the choice, but in mine where the tab should be it is a geometry tab? how come?

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
To any one who can help me,,,

I have a :apple: imac g3 and i have connected a second screen using a vga. :)

but it seems to just mirror my screen, how do i turn this off? and just have more room for dock? :rolleyes:

in later macs it has the choice, but in mine where the tab should be it is a geometry tab? how come?

Some older macs don't support 'extended desktop' which is what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.