GEOMETRY WARS EVOLVED-Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by XNine, Dec 19, 2005.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So I played this game in PGR 3 (it's in the garage area in an old arcade machine) and I got hooked. I donwloaded it and my highest score since I've had it for a week is 337 thousand something. My gamercard is under Onizuka X9, check it out

YOU GOTTA GET THIS GAME! It's so addicting!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I found this game to be the most played game I have on the 360. More than any of the 7 purchased games and it cost far less than any of them :) I thought I did well getting to jusst over 150 thousand, man your score rocks :D

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wonder if this disproves the belief that graphics>gameplay that a lot of graphic obsessed, usually HDTV owners have.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK going off subject but :-

What does owning have a HDTV have to do with being a graphics whore?

Wanting a clear clarity of picture which HDTV enables both on a console and for future HD-DVD/BluRay & HD Broadcasts does not mean you have to obsessive about graphics.

Component / Progressive offers the best quality of input, hence the reason I bought a very expensive HD setup so I could enjoy my cube & xbox games at 480p. Prices have fallen so much since that HDTV are open to most people (who are working - students don't count as theyre always too pisse* to see any picutre in focus :rolleyes: ) that it makes sense if your buying a new TV, to purchase one with HDTV capabilites as tommorows broadcasts will all support it.

----

I realise your point is that Gameplay is more important than hi-fidelity which is true to a point, but Geometry Wars Evolved is a HD game and in its own stark way is beautiful and just as much nex gen as it is retro.

Anyone wanting to spend 800 Points - it's well worth it on the marketplace.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Its a stereotype don't worry about it. its like those scallies you get "OMG! @ 360!!!1" those kind of people. dont think theres any here. but they are so obsessed with graphics being the best that they refuse to play an addictive game like Geometry Wars.
    Actually there was a guy on here (IIRC) who said he just bought an Xbox 360 so he wouldn't buy Mario Kart DS. i mean things like that are just silly.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok, as long as you aren't stereotyping all of us who own HDTV's.
    I dont consider myself a graphics whore, but Kameo by the way looks amazing on a HD projector. I hooked it up in my room to my projector at 720p (72 inch sized screen) and wowsers it blew me away. You notice tons of incidental effects that look stunning, that you never notice on a smaller screen). But by the same token MK: Double Dash & Metroid Prime look great on the massive screen too.

The game that has least impressed me visually on the 360 is PGR3. While the scale of the cities and tracks is great, the TREES look like crap. They really stand out because they are so bad.

On the DS - Mario Kart DS has me hooked online :D Animal Crossing still not arrived from dvdboxoffice :(

7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

well, for me i'm getting sick of these new games coming out. there isn't much classical fun in it. the only game that i have full fun that actually really counts are from the old games like super mario 64. now that's a classic. there are some other ones, but there isn't much games that is very fun to me. all there is now is new features, better graphics, more advanced AI. where's the fun now? :mad: all there is now really is just violence and a little bit of strategy and tactics. there's rarely no cuteness like in the old games. a lot of new games now, are racing, sports, and war-gun-violence-sex.

8. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

And Geometry wars isn't classic? It came out way before Mario 64. It came out before the ORIGINAL Super Mario. All they did was up the graphics and put in a techno track. Same gameplay, same enemies, same weapons, bigger area and more flashy things that get you all confused.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. And its great :)

By the way I love your avitar :D

10. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Thanks!

Yeah, I thought Hexic HD was crazy. When you get up past 200k points in Geometry wars you have to be extremely fast and not miss a single thing because these little bastards come at you in literally every direction.

Speed, and a little strategy works great. Unfortunately strategy differs greatly depending on what enemies are on the screen, and sometimes getting multiples of many is so confusing.

11. TheGimp macrumors 6502

geometry wars evolved high score: 407,000
    retro high score: 149,000

gamertag: aphexor

along with hexic (timed high score=371,000 rank #15), geometry wars is one of my three most played games on the 360.

12. steelfist macrumors 6502a

onizuka, i did not mean to go against geometry wars. i have never heard of the game, and thus, didn't know how good it was. the game in my collection i thought best was super mario 64. bombermam series was my favorite too. consider me odd if you want

i never said anything negative against old classical games. i only bashed against the new ones. please don't be offended.

Update:

i researched on the game geometry wars, and i liked it a lot. i also found the highest score that i can find. it's from "TBone 2501" with a record of 3.4 million points. and from what i have heard, that kind of score is rideculously high and legendary.

13. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

That score is rediculous. I will beat it though!

14. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Yeah, GWEvo is one of my favorite games on the 360. My high score is 218,000ish. The trick to racking up super high scores is making your first ship last as long as possible, because the bonus multiplier resets when you die.

The Live Arcade in general is one of the best surprises of the 360. I was't excited about it in the least, and now I play it all the time. Anyone else find themselves checking the list of titles compulsively?

15. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Like a stalking butler!

It still pisses me off that thee's no NHL logos to download, and there's nothing as far as PGR3 updates/upgrades or anything. And what I'm really mad about is the lack of DOA 4 anywhere to be found.

But, Geometry wars is a very fun game. I think the effect of special weapons making the graph backround disperse is awesome. Proof that a game doesn't need extreme graphics to be great. GWEvo > DOOM 3

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know. We spend all that money getting our 360's with some launch games and find the most compulsive game to be on xbox live arcade. The nicest surprise of all :D

I've downloaded so far, Outpost: Kalatari (or whatever its called), Wik, Geometry Wars & a couple of themes and Kameo's Winter Costumes......

I only just got broadband 2mb as it's only become available to me in the last couple of weeks and have found xbox live a joy.

Only annoying thing is having to recover my gamertag every time I switch Xbox 360. I have two (one in bedroom hooked up to a dell 2600w HDTV - one in the office on a 2005FPW via VGA), and it's a bit awkward, why they don't properly allow you to have 2 consoles and have to go through that rigermole each time baffles me.

That's my only complaint about the 360 so far.

17. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Awww poor you :p

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol! It was a genuine bit of luck.

I pre-ordered from two different suppliers in order to guarantee that I'd get at least one, but low and behold both shipped. I decided to sell one on ebay before it arrived, and towards the end of the auction I still did'nt have my second box. So I cancelled the auction after a lot of ringing to track down the missing xbox, I decided that I would keep it after all.

Really enjoying xbox live though so far I've spent 36Euro on Marketplace points :eek: let alone 60 for Gold Membership :(

Worth it though :)

19. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I picked up a premium bundle from Target last week before work. Looked at it all day (at work) and came back home to two insurance bills, a cable bill and an empty fridge. It was then I decided to put 'er up on eBay until I could really afford it without having to eat boiled cabbage for a month. Got nearly $700 for it though...quite worth it considering I can easily wait a month til I can just pick one up on a wednesday evening anywhere.

I thought you bought two on general principles. I'm suprised you haven't found the urge to sell one of the opened units on ebay since they still seem to fetching quite a markup.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok this explanation is going to make no sense to anyone outside of the UK or Ireland, but for those few.....

As Vicky Pollard would say 'Yeah but.. No but... The whole fing was right. Sheila with the long black hair and bushy lip, looks a bit like hitler in drag; was smoking outside of costcutters when Steve who's going out with Debbie. You know Debbie, Debbie the one with the glass eye and smells like fried fish anyway she wasnt there so Shut Up.. Anyway the whole fing was right that Steve told Sheila he'd like to give her is Curly Wurly but Sheila was havin none of it right.. So Sheila told Debbie about Steve and Debbie went 'Oh My God - I can't believe you just said that' and then like her glass eye popped out and rolled down the aisle in Tescos and knocking out Dereck, the guy with bad acne, looks like somthing from Pizza Hut. Dont be givin me no Evils'.....

:D

Now does it all make sense ;)

For anyone outside of the UK & Eire - The reason I pre-ordered two was to make sure I got at least one (but I did intend if I got both to sell one on Ebay to cover the cost of the first)... But one thing after another I just couldn't be bothered in the end. I could afford it and as my bills are all paid I don't feel an overwhelming need to part with it, a few quid extra at the end of the day isn't going to change my world. But if it was a choice between 360 or Bills & Food then I never would have bought 1, let alone 2. Security is more important to me than momentary gain.

Mind you August was a bugger - health insurance, tax bills for previous and coming year, public liability insurance, tv licence, car insurance... Aghhhhhhh that month was a real bit*h :D They do have a habit of coming in groups..