Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
dwdwdw said:
Have any of you read anyone who had a personal encounter with him and had something negative to say ?

You joined a Mac forum to say this?

I know several people who had negative encounters with him; he used to drink (post transplant) in a few bars in Chelsea where work colleagues and I used to go after work. I saw him being bloody rude on a number of occasions and darned belligerent to the staff.

He did have more faults than liking a drink as Blue mentioned. I appreciate that alcoholism is an illness but he didn't go out of his way to avoid temptation after his transplant.

He was a great player but he wasn't a god. And, to be honest, although I don't like to see anyone die, the press coverage was excessive both in the hourly updates before he died and in the funeral coverage.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Applespider said:
...he used to drink (post transplant) in a few bars in Chelsea where work colleagues and I used to go after work.

Literally bumped into him once on the corner of the Kings Road and Oakley Street — he was pissed way before lunchtime and looked a right state in a stained shellsuit.

Took me a few seconds to realise who it was... poor sod.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Applespider said:
...the press coverage was excessive both in the hourly updates before he died and in the funeral coverage.
It also included a terrible eulogy from one of his doctors(I think, I caught it on an airport TV). If you're going to write a eulogy, especially when it's such a big deal on TV, you'd think you'd run it by a couple of people before reading it.

I don't know maybe this guy had bad advice or maybe he just wanted to use his stage for his purpose (with good intentions) but he stood there and spouted statistics of donors per million for each european country.

I'm pretty sure nerves got the better of him too 'cause as he was checking his notes he looked up a couple of times and referred to "GB" which I think was his written shorthand for George Best but it came across like he realised what he'd said as he said it.

dwdwdw

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2005
Unreal

Let he without sin cast the first stone

Stop trying to tarnish a great man - what have you done to compare ?
Im sure you've done more to compare with the flaws you've so eloquently highlighted than with the greatness associated with GB. Yet I wonder when you die will someone stand up at your funeral and recount the story of the night you got pissed and were rude ? Or the time you wore a shell suit ???

Okay ... maybe more than one character flaw ... but I was just trying to convey a sentiment that there's more to the man than a) football and b) negative media stories

Mohammed Ali was unfaithful to 3 of his 4 wives - character flaw ? Yes I think so but you couldnt name one sportsperson who has given more of himself to other people without asking for anything in return. Stop picking out stupid little incidents that mean nothing .... you say this isnt worthy of its place in the news because he got drunk in a london pub and was rude 5, 10 or 20 years ago ?? .... what is worthy ? english louts going abroad to get drunk and be rude and violent in their hundreds to foreign peoples ?

The news is for the people. 500 000 PEOPLE turned out for his funeral !! 500 000 !!! In a country with a population of little more than 1 million ! That's equivalent to a funeral in england with about 25 million mourners ! That isn't newsworthy ?!?!? If it means so much to so many people then its newsworthy.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I believe that you're wrong to say that the news coverage is excessive.

I also think that its in bad taste to be slurring a man at the time of his passing
. That just my opinion

dwdwdw

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2005
Gb

GB was - is - an affectionate way of referring to George Best. Like a nickname. I suppose the fact you dont know that explains how far removed you are from the world of George Best and the millions of people who love him.

Honestly if you werent so far removed you might know more and maybe even enough to have a different opinion.

Not saying its your fault that you're far removed from it - far from it. Everyone has their own interests. But I dont think you people seem like experts to comment on him, you appear to only know stories of his binges

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
dwdwdw said:
But I dont think you people seem like experts to comment on him, you appear to only know stories of his binges

Some of us here happen to live and work in Chelsea and know a little more about him than what we read in the papers.

Honestly, I think you're going a little over the top with this.

dwdwdw

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2005
Applesider ... I can join any forum I want to say whatever the hell I want. You dont know who I am, whether Im a family member insulted and agrieved by something Ive read on here or just an honest fan of a genuine genius.

You also have no idea of the effort George went to avoid temptation after his transplant, no idea.

Just for the record I didnt say he was a god. And the news reports hourly were not excessive to the thousands of people who tuned in hourly to see / hear them.

Blue ... i didnt say he was an angel ... i said that neither were the other people who might have received the liver had George not got it. Were all human beings, and we all have flaws.

dwdwdw

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2005
Anyway Im signing back off now and will leave you in peace. Sorry if I went over the top but I had read one guy write 'still have no sympathy at all (for George's death) ' ... and that it was a laugh. That offended me greatly.

Another guy wrote that it was unnecessary to afford this so much news coverage as he wasnt royalty. Royalty is an accident of birth, legend status is a result of what you do in your life. So what if someone isnt royalty ??? I dont understand that.

If you read back through the quotes you'll find numerous offensive ones, and thats why I decided to write so much.

Apologies again

G'LUK

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yawn... nothing personal but this is a Mac board where most people join to ask a question about a Mac or iPod. You seem to have joined to raise a thread from the past that you disagree with. I didn't say you couldn't, I just expressed surprise that you had bothered signing up for that.

As for who you are, I don't really care. George Best's death meant nothing to me and a large group of posters here, although obviously it has had a big impact on you and others. You are complaining about our points of view but fail to realise that we are just as entitled to ours as you are. You're not going to convince us all but you've made your point. Some people may come along and read it and feel differently, most probably won't change their point of view or care enough to read it. I'm one of those; as I said above, I'm sorry he died but I don't particularly care. Equally, outside of my immediate family and friends I don't expect many to notice when I die or care. That's life...

I don't have sufficient interest in this thread to continue to argue points or semantics with you since we have such differing viewpoints that there's little point and little consequence to the result. Enjoy the forums if you hang around; goodbye if you don't.

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
Personally speaking, love him or hate him there's no denying that on the pitch he knew a few things about the art of football!

Am I a football fan? Nope, turns my blood cold!!

But I think the biggest gripe that most people have with the whole scenario is the fact that Best had the "second chance" that so many people don't get, ie. a liver transplant. And, at the end of the day, he blew it!!

Does this mean he deserved die? Hell no! Alcoholism is a disease there's no denying it; evidently a history of which was present in his family.

Does this mean he shouldn't be mourned? 'Cause not, it's a sad day when ever a loved one is lost, the fact that he meant diddly squat to me personally is by-the-by!!

Of course he'll be remembered for being a football icon -- equally he'll be remembered as nothing more than an alcoholic with serious issues!!!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
mpw said:
Anyone else see the irony in George Best dying today as 24hr Drinking becomes legal?(in the UK)

Nope.

24 hours drinking or not, he would have been been an alcoholic, in fact, there was no 24 hours drinking.

There is absolutely no reason to link the two. Post 11pm drinking times occurs all around the world. However, this is the UK we are talking about...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.