George Bush, our blind and deaf king

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Excellent analysis from the NYT about Bush's stubbornness and the effect it's having on the Republican party:

(My bold)

First off, this is nothing at all new. Former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, in Bush's first year in office, described not only Bush but his entire cabinet as "like a blind man in a roomful of deaf people." What is new is that it is finally affecting the party. Some voters are beginning to wise up, and Republican congressmen, seeing their election year chances going down the crapper if they stay loyal to Bush, are starting to abandon ship.

The idea that Bush could be "in good spirits" given what is going on only serves to enhance his blind-deaf image. Look at some of those sentences again:

That reminds me a lot of Reagan, who similarly turned a deaf ear towards anyone who wanted to explain the facts of life to him.

Another part that scares me:

This has been rather obscured by the fact that, up until now, Congress has been going along with Bush, giving him pretty much everything he's wanted. The Dubai deal, however, exposed the fact that he's willing to turn on his own party if they should choose to defy him.

But if you consider the fact that Bush has already announced, through words and actions, his disdain for the judiciary, what you inevitably come out with is a president who considers himself a monarch, answerable to no one but his own conscience (if you can excuse the use of that word in relation to Bush). And that is positively Nixonian.

Further:

Which means, as usual, that the problem is not with his actions but with your perceptions.

And finally:

This has been the sum and entirety of anything even close to open-mindedness from Bush: "I understand that you disagree, but you're wrong. You'll see."

Believe it or not, on some level this pleases me, because this is good news for Democrats. The more Bush becomes detached from reality, the more his party fractures. While I hope Bush never goes so far off the deep end that he declares martial law, I will sit back and watch and hope that he continues to destroy his party.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Just like a roller coaster.

The Dems may not get the house and senate this round, but they will get the White House, and then the house and senate again, and then we'll be blaming everything on them. :p

It's really a sick state of things we're in.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

That's so true iGary, Has No one in federal government learned to take blame from there 'smart' ideas ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wonder if this means we will be bombarded with his chants,spin,spew & dribble. Iraq is a failure due to its religion and traditions meaning these guys will never get together on anything. 911 wasnt done by Saddam folks, and it took a murdering bastard like Saddam to keep all the other killers in Iraq in line. Thats how i see it.

Until the west is ready to attack Extreme Islam this is a useless cause. Bring the troops home and let the Islamic Nuts kill off each other. This isnt worth 1 American life let alone thousands. Bin Laden is still free after 5 years. That says it all. Iraq should have never been in the equation, yet we were lied to by the administration,cia and other govt scum. The same scum that let the 911 gang into the country in the first place. Now we get months of Bush Spin that will insist there isnt a civil war in Iraq. Im sure the spinmasters will take civil war and spin it into something else like secratarian violence.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I listened to part of Bush's speech today. Maybe I just came in too late and left too early, but Bush's plan to fix Iraq seemed to be 'training more bomb squads". Step one was training more bomb squads, step two was killing the bad guys, and I didn't make it to step three. After steps one and two, and Bush's carbon copy comments about not following "an artificial time-table set by politicians" I figured I wasn't going to hear anything new.

What's amusing is that for some reason, the Congressional Republicans seem to think that a President that dismisses and denigrates the Judicial branch would never, ever do the same to them. I guess they haven't noticed the pattern yet, their egos are in the way.

Oh well, yet another day in paradise.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

though that would be a pretty good blowjob.

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

9. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Per FDR: "It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."

That's the trouble I have with guys like Reagan and Bush. When it is apparent to everybody else that their bright ideas aren't working, their instinct is not to say, "I'm sorry; what we did obviously didn't work, but we'll fix it." Their instinct is to say, "You're a defeatist/pessimist/obstructionist. The problem is not with us, it's with you." And then they go and turn to their own party and lie about how wonderful things actually are, to try to keep their loyalty.

There is nothing shameful about saying "I made a mistake." You know that gene where men who are lost would rather keep on driving around than stop and ask directions? It's like that, only on steroids.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Anyone Notice the Republicans are silent? I wonder how many bad things a leader of a party can do before its followers figure it out the scam? 36% at the moment. A blind man in a room of the deaf is a good analogy. Yesterday it was reported we had more tornadoes in one day then ever recorded, more Hurricanes then ever in 1 season,Greenland and the Artic melting away, yet this president isnt convinced of Global warming(insert laughing smiley). Just 1 example of the blind.

Iraq is another, remember this arrogant guy has never admitted he was wrong in Iraq. He sucks as President of the people, but as president of the megacorporations he surpases all before.

If this president was given a grade for his performance it would be a 'F' for Failure. He needs to can his staff and get in touch with the people. He is out of Touch with the U.S. and its people. His veto threat without knowing of the Dubai deal is a another example of the blind.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Here.
    Although that doesn't show upcoming appropriations, which will put the cost at about $400 B by the end of '07.

13. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

thanks mactastic for the link .. well since bush hasn't takin' blame of this endless money pit issue.. "I think it has became GWB's 'nam " << IMO :eek: :eek:

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its a shame he came into office with a goal of undoing everything Clinton did including the national surplus. Spend Spend and Spend, Bush made sure the first thing he did was to put us in massive debt for his war. Anyone remember his Saddam = Bin Laden speeches he bombarded us with? Globalization at any cost. The title of this thread says it all.

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Oh

Theo

Where art thou?

I mean to say, Theodore Roosevelt, I'll even take FDR, someone get me some DNA to work with quick.

Only two more years or so to go, I can hold on.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i see we're approaching the 12 million mark of the number of kids we could have put through college. too bad.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, but the less time they spend with those ivory tower, sushi-eating, latte-drinking, leftist professors the more likely they are to vote Republican. Right?

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps it's a grand scheme to create a larger manufacturing-employee base. only there aren't enough manufacturing jobs now to go around.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I see bumper stickers on cars and trucks with Bush-Cheney '04 and NRA and every now and then I'll see one next to them that'll say "America: Love It Or Leave It"

I wonder why all these corporations are moving operations to China?

And I wonder if the dipshit behind the wheel of that bumperstickered SUV realises he votes for the *******s who give tax cuts to these corporations and their executives and rewrite the tax code to encourage moving jobs offshore.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You know, the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. This seems fitting with him, he never could admit to a mistake. And you can't fix something if you pretend it isn't broken. Even worse if you aren't pretending and really can't see how bad things are going. So he's basically evil, or oblivious. Or stupid. I still can't tell. This is typical of spoiled rich kids who think they can do no wrong. Mommy and Daddy aren't going to bail him out of this one though.

"Sometimes in my line of work you have to keep repeating the truth to sort-of catapult the rhetoric, let it sink in". :rolleyes:

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The President has dismissed calls for a staff shake up today. He is surrounded by people who have no idea about regular america. They are rich arrogant republicans who are clueless, clueless on the border,clueless about Iraq,clueless on Katrina.
    This presidents policys are horse manure to put it simply. He is looking out for the Dubai's ,the Haliburtons, the Chineese. What about the U.S. George? What about us? Lets hold him and his party accountable. We must.

signed by another Reagan Republican, not a Bush GooseStepper.