Georgia's Prime Minister Dead From CO Poisoning

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Punani, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Georgia's prime minister death has been confirmed to be the result of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty gas heater in a friend's apartment.

While I feel for the country's loss of a major political leader, I think that the fact that the article states that this is not an uncommon cause of death should make the issue all the more important. If a country cannot get safe sources of basic utilities then I think we have a major issue here. :(

Reuters Article

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

His death like others are very sad. My prayers go out to his family and friends. I also pray that Georgia will continue to be a strong Democracy. After the poisoning of the other leader in a breakaway soviet country, this still causes concern.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This death stinks of assassination... seriously, the head of state of a former Soviet republic dies of a gas leak in someone's apartment? Did the man not have bodyguards, some sort of Georgian equivalent to the Secret Service?

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Yes, very dodgy.

Lokk at what happened to Yushenko,the Ukraines new President poisioned to the extent his face now looks like the surface of the moon.

Only plus side is that eventually it will subside and return to normal.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Not to jump to conspiratorial conclusions, but Georgia is a pretty unstable, violent country. Things have improved since the early 1990s, to be sure, but still screwy.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

CO (Carbon Monoxide) is odorless and colorless. You generally don't know about it until it's too late to do anything about it.

8. brap macrumors 68000

CO poisoning doesn't stem from a leak. It's a fault which develops with all gas heaters of age, and as has been said is virtually undetectable, and only with bespoke pieces of equipment. Try to lose the ol "Russians are bad. Russians are the enemy." programming. Iraq is the enemy now :rolleyes:

We had a bad one at my last house... no detector. Gas man came over and was like, "You didn't spend too long in there, did you? I mean, you didn't, otherwise you'd be dead."