Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
I am currently raising funds on Kickstarter for what I have titled the Instant America Project. As part of my project I want to geotag all the instant film photos that I take. (obviously with a pen on the originals and digitally with the scans) Anyone have any ideas on how this would be completed?

I was considering using my iPhone and just keeping notes, or an independent GPS device.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I am currently raising funds on Kickstarter for what I have titled the Instant America Project. As part of my project I want to geotag all the instant film photos that I take. (obviously with a pen on the originals and digitally with the scans) Anyone have any ideas on how this would be completed?

I was considering using my iPhone and just keeping notes, or an independent GPS device.

This is something I have personally tried and due to a couple of minor issues wasn't able to actually complete.

My set up was pretty simple. I have a JOBO photoGPS (a device that you slip into your hot-shoe and gathers GPS info) and a cold-shoe to hot-shoe adapter for my film cameras. This way when I take a picture the photoGPS gets triggered through the adapter.

The only problem I had with this is I scan my negatives in as TIFFs and the software that comes with the photoGPS can't add metadata to TIFFs.
EDIT: After a quick check they have an update that solved this issue.

Here is JOBO's website with info about the photoGPS: http://www.jobo.com/web/photoGPS.447.0.html

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Out of interest how do you plan to use kickstarter for this?

Not being rude but it seems that your project only benefits yourself so how would people be enticed into investing?

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
I don't geotag, but I do keep notes about which lens I use so I can tag that later when I scan my negatives. I generally just use the notes app on the iPhone (which I have with me as I've started to use it as my light meter for most applications).

I just make a new note for each roll of film, and describe the shot of each lens change. I generally shoot with a 50mm and only change a few times per roll, so no that big of a deal. Found it's the best way for me to do it.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Out of interest how do you plan to use kickstarter for this?

Not being rude but it seems that your project only benefits yourself so how would people be enticed into investing?

This is what Kickstarter is for, creative endeavors, they don't really have to be philanthropic. Some people like to invest in the arts, regardless of outcome. But in Kickstarter fashion, there are rewards for backers, just like all the rest of the projects, and the upper donation levels actually get some of my cameras that will be used for the project. Others receive reprints of 1 or more of the photos, other get actual framed prints.

Also, a book will be designed (and shopped to publisher, or self-published), a possible gallery showing is in the works, and the physical photo collection is slated to be donated to a museum or other long-term curation facility within 5 years. I am also donating 5% of any personal proceeds (cant donate kickstarter funds) to a photography related charity.

The project has been up 4 days and already has 300 in backing, so obviously I have enticed someone, lol. Some of the projects have literally thousands and thousands in funding and are WAY more self-serving than mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.