Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its October media event, Apple narrowed down the launch window for its redesigned Mac Pro to "December", but with the month having already begun the company has yet to announce a more specific launch date.

mac_pro_conrad_1.jpg
"Jetzt vorbestellen" = "Pre-order now"
German retailer Conrad Electronic has, however, now begun taking pre-orders [Google Translate] for the two stock configurations of the new Mac Pro, citing availability of Monday, December 16.

It is unclear what Conrad is basing its availability citation on, but it appears to be the first specific claim of a launch date from a retailer, something many potential customers have been waiting for. Availability of the new Mac Pro is likely being constrained by new Intel Ivy Bridge-EP processors that were officially launched in September but which have apparently been somewhat slow to ramp up production.

mac_pro_conrad_2.jpg
"Available from December 16, 2013"
Holiday shopping considerations would be less of a factor for the new Mac Pro than for most of Apple's other products, given the professional focus of the machine, but the end-of-the-month holiday season could present some logistical issues for Apple given employee vacations and other factors.

Also unclear is what kind of volumes the new Mac Pro will ship in at launch. If supplies are tightly constrained as it appears they may be, shipping dates may quickly slip into early 2014 with only a small number of units making their way to retailers and customers before the end of the year.

Update: French site MacGeneration posted a Tweet earlier this week claiming that delivery to customers may come on December 18, which could be in line with December 16 shipping availability.

Update 2: Conrad has removed its Mac Pro pre-order pages.

(Thanks, Martin!)

Article Link: German Retailer Begins Taking Mac Pro Pre-Orders, Claims December 16 Availability [Updated]

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
And they only have the two options that apple announced, so I'm going to go with...they don't know anything.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Oooh, :) Im so looking forward to the BTO prices. THough Im not gonna buy a Mac pro for a year or so :)

Apple should serously sell a matching thunderbold 2 HDD to attach to it. THere´s no other available HDD that runs silent, which is a shame when the Mac Pro is ultra silent.

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
The cheapest Mac Pro costs 3,000 USD in the US, but comes at a revolutionary high price of 4,300 USD (28,000 SEK) in Sweden. Yay! :)

I'm glad that Germany doesn't have it much better, though.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I was just thinking it was strange that a retailer didn't let the release date slip.

But I sure am glad they did.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Good grief Apple, fix your conversion table.
There's even a Dashboard widget for currency conversions if you need a starting point. :rolleyes:

The cheapest Mac Pro costs 3,000 USD in the US, but comes at a revolutionary high price of 4,300 USD (28,000 SEK) in Sweden. Yay! :)

I'm glad that Germany doesn't have it much better, though.

Thank you :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, if our pricing was fair you could import cheaper from Germany than from the US.
But I guess you're right, stay happy about everyone getting shafted ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I permitted myself a couple blu-rays @ $8 each on Black Friday because I knew I was getting the lower end machine for X-mas/Birthday gift. The money is in the bank just waiting in my checking account. I've been checking Apple.com every morning. If I don't make the first group shipping I'm going to be very disappointed.

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Good grief Apple, fix your conversion table.
There's even a Dashboard widget for currency conversions if you need a starting point. :rolleyes:

Thank you :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, if our pricing was fair you could import cheaper from Germany than from the US.
But I guess you're right, stay happy about everyone getting shafted ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

Relax, it was a joke. No need for the passive-aggressive attitude!

http://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-vat-rates/eu-vat-rates/

Sweden VAT Rate
Standard VAT rate: 25% (Jul 1990)

$3,000 * 1.25 = $3,750, plus extra cost (15% difference) to cover more stringent European warranty standards and currency fluctuations.

Well, yes, of course. I'm not blaming Apple for it, I'm just disappointed that the price is so high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.