Germany's recent election results

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Sep 18, 2005.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

With the elections in Germany pretty much over now that Angela Merkel's German Conservatives won the election some people had a few things to say during the grueling period of not knowing who won.

From the BBC :

Kind of sounds like all those who were saying that those who voted for Ralph Nader were responsible in someway for Gore loosing.

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

at 225 to 222 seats, and their allied equally tied, and with both coalitions 20-30 seats short of simple majority, i am not sure she 'won'.

and the woman is confused (if the quote is correct): if the left party was not there, her conservative party would have lost flat out, so maybe she should thank the communists rather than blame them.

G5, what are the chances for the grand coalition, and who'll be the head?

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Merkel had some good ideas and I think she could have done a good job, however, she doesn't have Gerd's charisma nor his sense of political strategy. Merkel's anti-Turkey policy cost her a great deal as the Turkish vote is becoming more powerful in Germany.

There's no doubt that Germany desperately needs structural reforms and I honestly think that either one would have been good for business. Now with such a split vote, the next four years are going to be a nightmare as the parties duke it out without accomplishing anything substantial.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm gonna need some catching up, and i apologize for the thread tangent, but could you give me (us) a quick overview of her anti-turkish policies?

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I should have expanded that, she feels along with Germany's right, that Turkey should not be allowed to join the EU. They have a whole list of reasons, most of them xenophobic. The biggest real fear is that Germany will be flooded by Turks looking for work, especially those from eastern Turkey where fundamentalism is quite strong.

I think Turkey should be allowed to join.

The newest EU member states have seen many of their citizens search for work in the west, most though, seem to want to return to their home country. Poland is a case in point. Somehow, I don't think that would be the case with Turkey. A flood of economic migrants could be very burdendsome on western European countries, especially given their inability to help the migrants integrate and especially for those migrants from eastern Turkey, a low level of education.

Merkel isn't alone, France is also anti-Turkey and Italy and Spain both have sizable majorities with the same opinions.

Turkey is essentially the US' Mexico. Either we help them create more jobs at home or we should expect a continued flood of migrants.

On another note, in another forum, someone said that this could be the beginning of a new NSPD in Germany as the splinter groups were partly the cause for its creation back in the 20s. I don't think things are so extreme today but it made me think a bit. Here's hoping they can come up with something that works.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Wow, no one has blamed the dead lock on Bush yet.

Avoid the rush......

this is all bushes fault!

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

looks like exactly the tie i suspected... both big parties lost votes just as i expected

and with the Linke out of the coalition talks it will come down to 3 choices
    big coalition, cdu-fdp-grüne, spd-grüne-fdp

and since the latter two are very unlikely it all looks like the big coalition is going to make it...

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not necessarily....

10. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Well, actually analysts think that part of her party losing the vote like this was the fact that back then she blindly supported Bush sending troops into Iraq. Schröder didn't forget to remind the public of that fact and which already made the CDU lose the elections three years ago!

So indirectly it is Bush' fault indeed!!! ;)

groovebuster

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

And it didn't even take 6 degrees! Good job. :cool:

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I just wonder how long a grand coalition will last. I predict new elections next September.

Merkel's warmongering definitely hurt her at the polls. She also went to the US and met with high ranking US officials last month, I'm sure that anti war Germans didn't view that very kindly. So, yeah, Stubeef, her relationship with bushco definitely hurt her.