Get a Gamecube?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Taft, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Does anyone out there have a Gamecube? I was thinking of getting one, but want to know if it worth the investments. I really want it for when Zelda and Metroid come out, but am considering getting it early.

Anyone have any opinions? And before anyone says it, I'm really not interested in a Playstation 2 or X-Box. I just really like Nintendo's games and am not really interested in "killing" oriented games.

Thanks

Taft

2. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Go For It

My friend has one and it rocks, even if you where the killing tpye the new 007 game rocks, I played Madden 2002 and Smash Brothers and just wounderful I want one, I must love it soo much because of the G3 405mhz CPU that runs the thing :)

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well from the way it sounds, you may as well go ahead and get one.

the one bonus to waiting for when those specific games come out is that they might drop the gc price in general OR they might offer a package deal with zelda for some discount... as that's got such a mass appeal to nintendo users.

my brother has one and it seems cool. hard to get used to the control if you have something else... but if it's what you get, it's not that tough to get used to

there are also several games for it that are also out for x box and ps and they seem just as good from what i can tell (tony hawk specifically)...

main drawback to me is the harddrive thing... you have to use one of those memory things. but it's not a big deal.... if you have the money, may as well!

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Go For It

Just to correct you, TiMacLover, the processor runs at 485MHz.

Now you would think it is faster. :)

Since Xbox and Playstation 2 are not your recommendations, Taft, I would probably recommend GameCube. I have arguments for and against almost all three machines, and my arguements for GameCube are that there will plenty of games to come, it is compact, and it is cheaper than the other systems.

Just so you know, though, the GameCube lacks a DVD-ROM here in the USA. According to an old issue from videogames.com the DVD version of GameCube was only going to ship in Japan.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
    Record breakout score: Yours Truly at 1043.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

even with the dvd in x-box, it's still not great.

i mean, if you don't have another dvd player it's good, but mine at least skips a lot... not skips, but the audio stays while the picture flickers.... which can be annoying. happened on any disc i've tried. also, it won't play vcds i don't think.

gamecube is definitely nice and compact.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

DVD playback is OK, but to me it seems to be more of a gimmick than a feature.
    Out of curiosity, how many people actually use their PS2/Xbox as their home theater setup?

The GC uses proprietary mini-DVDs for the game cartridges.

I'm waiting for Zelda, Metroid before I get one...though Rogue Squadron 2 is pretty damn tempting...

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i use my xbox to watch dvds. but that's just because the way my room is set up it goes: desk (with comp), tv (on dresser top), bed... so to use the monitor with my comp would be tough. and being a student i don't have the money/room for a "real" set up yet.. it's just a nice little bonus for the small amount of people that want to watch dvds but don't have a player...

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have a PS2 but I want a cube just for OO7
    it look so cool

the cube runs a 485MHZ G3:D
    the sony runs a 299MHZ sony emotion chip :D (but its awesome)
    the Xbox runs a 670MHZ intel crap :mad:

The Xbox is quicker but why waste your money on some huge box
    that you could land a helicopter on

9. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

The Gamecube has more MHz than either of my computers! How does that work??

Of course my computers have G4s, but still. That must be a dang fast console.

Taft

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

How does it have more MHz. The Xbox does

and Rower_CPU
    I use my Sony a my DVD player in My lounge room it works fine
    not a hitch yet

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

he said the cube has more speed than his computers, not than the other systems.

the xbox is indeed massive compared to the gamecube.

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

ok sorry
    I gotta read all of it before I post stuff
    sorry

13. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

14. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

I'm waiting....

I am going to wait for TiGameCubes to come out in america.

15. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

As long as you don't get an X-box, go for whatever you want...at least the xbox isnt doing too well in sales right now..

16. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'll preface this post by mentioning that I am a HUGE Nintendo fan, and have been since the days of the original NES. I bought a GameCube the day they shipped, and I've loved every second of it. The controller fits nicely in your hand, like the PS2, but it's much more intuitive. Play with it for ten minutes and you're not even aware that you're still holding it. Truly a great piece of industrial design. It's quite a powerful little system, and the load time on every game i've played has been virtually nonexistent. It's also a stunning machine graphically. Games like Wave Race: Blue Storm and Luigi's Mansion really show off it's ability to shade, shadow, and render transparent surfaces with the baddest of today's consoles. The game selection is not as varied as it is on the PS2, but it is still great. And more games ship every week. I personally own Pikmin, Rouge Squadron 2, Super Smash Bros., Tony Hawk 3, and SSX Tricky, and they're ALL incredibly replayable. It's just a fantastic system, and it's been a joy to own. Add to all of this the $100 price differential between it and the PS2 and Xbox, and the fact that controllers and momory cards are cheaper on the GC than on the other systems, and you have a near-perfect system that will give you years of enjoyment.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I hate to state the painfully obvious, but if you want a gaming system, and there are only three choices, and you definately don't want two of them, I'd recommend you buy the only remaining choice.

The only reasons you would not is if you weren't sure if you wanted a gaming system or couldn't afford it. I'm afraid we can't help you with those questions.

18. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

Well, I was asking about wether the Gamecube was worth the money. Does it compare with other Nintendo systems? How is the current set of game offerings?? That kind of question.

And you're right, I don't know if I want a console system, but I know that if I'm going to get a system, it'll be a Nintendo. I was simply polling for opinions before making a decision to buy. Smart consumerism, if you ask me.

Taft

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

$$$

Something no-one else has brought up (suprisingly):

The GC costs $200

Xbox and PS2 are still $300

20. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'm flabbergasted

Why Rower, I'm highly offended! In my epic rant about all that is GameCube, I did, in fact, mention the "$100 price differential"! :) :) :)

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well if you want those particular few games, then it could be worth it for them. also, there are at least 3-4 games that i know of that I'D want... including fifa soccer, tony hawk, and a couple others... and i've played the first two and they are really good. so i would say it's a good buy. there's your polling answer from me

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

I did say that the Gamecube was cheaper than any of the other major systems (Xbox or PS2), but I did not say how cheap.

As for the time span of games, someone I know told me that the Xbox will not be seeing many games, since Microsoft is a computer company, and it will not support many video games.

That is just what someone told me. Corect me if I am wrong.

If I am not mistaken, Nintendo 64 ran games all the way from Super Mario 64 to Tony Hawk 2, and they got rather descent ratings. And, impressively enough, the N64 processor did not even reach 100MHz (93.68MHz) and the big games were given excellent ratings.

I would EXPECT pretty much the same for GameCube. The only thing about Nintendo and hockey is that EA Sports will not support making hockey games for Nintendo. Someone else told me this. And it is probably still true if you look back to NHL 99 for N64.

And you probably wont expect to see any cheaper games from GameCube than any other system, although the disks that go with the GameCube console are mighty small, compared to standard CDs and DVDs.

Those are just some more tips on GameCube. If you need the desire for having lots of games while not spending as much, GameCube is your best option.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: I'm flabbergasted

well i also briefly talked about price just in that they might drop prices if you wait to get it til those two games come out, or the possibility of a bundle with one of them (zelda probably).

and yeah, the gc is cheaper. it has a few less features but to most those are unimportant anyways. and gc probably has some benefits over them (especially particular games being released for it...)

basically: if those 2 games (metroid/zelda) are the MAIN reasons to get it, wait a bit and see if a bundle or a drop in prices happens. if not go ahead anyways.

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: I'm flabbergasted

Sorry, missed it among the lines of dense text there. Ever heard of formatting for easy reading? ;)

25. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

I almost forgot.

In a personal attempt to bolster the economy, I have decided to purchase the Gamecube. In fact, I'm going to pick it up after work. And if I decide I don't like it, I can always sell it or give it to my brother for a graduation gift. That would probably make his day. Heh.

Everyone here who had experience with it expressed a pretty positive view of the machine, and I've heard good things elsewhere, so I'll take the plunge.

Thanks to all.

Taft