Get a maxed out iMac now, or wait for Intel Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Noted, May 26, 2006.

  1. Noted macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2006
    #1
    I'm in a dilemma. I currently have a 1.8ghz dual Power Mac G5. I really want an Intel Mac but I'm not sure what to do. I dont have a lot of money so I cant just splash out on the best mac pro when its released.

    I do a lot of Graphic design work on Photoshop and Illustrator.
    I also want to be able to play PC games on high graphics settings.

    For these two things above, should I wait for the Mac Pro, or get a high end Intel iMac?

    Thanks for any help
     
  2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #2
    Wait for the Mac Pro. Photoshop isn't Universal yet anyway, so there's really no point switching until it is if you're a heavy user. Same with a lot of third party software really - don't rush into it.

    For me it was fine, I don't have to use anything on my Mac. It's just a sexah, uber playthang!
     
  3. Noted thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2006
    #3
    The only thing I'm worried about is the cost of the Mac Pro's. If any of you had to guess, what would you think the prices would be any how many would there be. 2 or 3? Also whats the expected processor speed gunna be ? Will they go up to 3ghz?
     
  4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #4
    I really don't think we can speculate yet, Intel haven't even released the chips we're all assuming Apple will be using. However, I think it would be reasonable to expect the systems to fall into a similar price region as the PowerMacs.
     
  5. Noted thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2006
    #5
    Also, I'm not a power user of Photoshop, I just study graphic design in uni so I do use it often.

    Does it literally not work, or is the performance just reduced?

    From all the good rep it's been getting, I'm so tempted to get one. How well does it run windows and how well do PC games run if I was to get the 256mb card.
     
  6. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    If you don't need any slots, it is really great not having a tower and the rat's nest of cables in my experience. Also, won't a tower be a lot louder? Even if not, I would prefer the simplicity of an iMac and it should run Photoshop really well.
     
  7. kksolano macrumors member

    kksolano

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2006
    Location:
    london
    #7
    Graphics speed.

    Hey, I’m a middleweight graphics designer and do a lot of work on my iMac Intel.
    Seriously, I’ve maxed out the memory & Vram (just in case) and noticed a speed bump compared to my G4 eMac. Everything runs quicker on the new machine.

    Yes the new Mac pro’s will be awesome. But when the Pro apps hit universal, will we notice that much of a performance difference between the Core Duo & the newer chips? Somehow I think not. Maybe apple will prove me wrong! Lets see.
     
  8. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

    spinne1

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2005
    Location:
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    #8
    I think you should wait. Keep your machine until it feels slow to you (it should not feel slow now). Why get an Intel Mac for Photoshop? (It'll be faster on your machine.) I think you wait at least another year as it'll be probably that long before Photoshop is Universal.

    As you say, when the Intel Mac towers come out they will likely be very expensive and more than you appear willing to pay. You COULD sell your machine now, get a used or refurbed Mac Mini to get you through for 6-12 months and then sell it and get a Intel Mac tower. Your machine will continue to go down in value over time and so the sooner you sell it the more you can get for it.

    As for gaming, an iMac isn't the best choice because you are locked in to the video card and monitor in there today. Also, you could save all your computer buying money and get an XBox 360 or PS3 or something.
     
  9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #9
    I'd unload the Power Mac asap if you want to get anything reasonable for it. The Mac Pro will pound the Power Mac into the dust, thus the dramatic downfall of resale value for PowerPC Towers.
     
  10. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

    Philberttheduck

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2006
    Location:
    HB, CA
    #10
    I'd wait as well. Unless you enjoy windows' photoshop cs2, maxing out an iMac isn't the smartest thing.
     
  11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #11
    I would wait. See what Apple releases at WWDC in the way of Mac Pros and then make your decision.

    Also keep in mind that if the Mac Pros are too much machine for you, either spec-wise or cost-wise, a new iMac will probably be released around the same timeframe which will also be taking advantage of the new Core 2 Duo chips, which might better meet your needs. (Plus, with the new Core Duo eMac most likely being released in the September timeframe, Apple will have to upgrade the iMac to the Core 2 Duo line to preserve product differentiation.) :cool:
     
  12. Noted thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2006
    #12
    Thanks for the help guys. I dont think I would sell my Power Mac now because it seems pointless. I think I'll just wait to see what Apple do to the iMac and new Mac Pro's.
     

Share This Page