Get a Mini?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by betbest1, Nov 26, 2005.

1. betbest1 macrumors regular

I am considering purchasing an iPod+HP Mini 6GB. I currently have a Creative MuVo Slim 512MB. I am considering the Mini for several reasons: it has more capacity than the MuVo Slim; it can sync with iTunes; it can have true playlists; it can play protected AAC files from iTMS. I don't want the Nano, because I'm afraid I would break it and it scratches too easily, and I don't need the capacity of the regular iPod. I have two questions: Would you recommend getting the Mini? and Is there a difference between the iPod+HP and the regular iPod?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apart from the HP logo and possibly a difference in the cables that come with it (and of course the fact that both the HP and the Apple iPod Mini are discontinued) it is the same as the Apple Mini 6 Gb. Verify what warranty you're going to get, as this will be an old-stock item.

3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy an HP iPod. I just don't like the idea of it having an HP logo. If that doesn't bother you, though, go for it. The mini's are great little players. I've had mine since April and it's been great. I'm about to upgrade to a 5th Gen. iPod here shortly, but my iPod mini has served me well. I definitely recommend them.

4. mannix87 macrumors 6502

short battery life. which apple claims became a non-issue w/ their 2nd gen Mini. plus, how sure are you, you're ok w/ the limited memory? i quickly upgraded to a regular iPod (40GB) as soon as i had the money for it. and when i got it, i actually wondered why i got the mini in the 1st place.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Qué?

Apple quotes the mini as having 18 hours battery life - most tests put it at closer to 26 when left to play. Most reviews I've read were lauding Apple for finally giving a "real world use" figure for the mini's battery life - 18 hours is normal for skipping every now and then, using the backlight every now and then, changing playlists etc.

The 2G mini has pretty damned good battery life, it still looks good (I had to install and load iTunes onto my sisters' computers the other day, they both have iPod minis and they still look and feel like pure class, the aluminium is awesome) and 6GB is a very usable capacity. Just be sure you can still get support from hp if you're buying old stock from them, they stopped selling the iPod under pretty acrimonious circumstances from the impression the press releases gave me. I'd be more inclined to find some plain old Apple minis, there are still loads about if you know where to look.

6. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

My 2nd Gen. mini gets excellent battery life, so I guess that was just an issue with the 1st Gen.

7. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

my 2 old 1st gen minis got decent life not the best
    i could get 6 hrs out of one of em
    i bought them both used also

8. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

nano is fine

My brother has a nano and the scratch problem is blown wayy out of proportion. It scratches just as much as any white/mirror iPod (the black does scartch more). If you have a case, it'll never scratch. The nano tubes look very nice on the white one, and they add a bit of color.

However, if you do want a mini, go right ahead.

9. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Yes i have a 6gb green mini...and i must agree that the battery life is AMAZING (prob. the best out of the ipod line)... im actually selling it because i got a ipod video....it is MINT CONDITION (only had it since april)...and ive always had it in an agent 18 case...

PM me if your interested....got the box and eveerything

10. Scruge macrumors member

yea my i got my 1G mini about 13 months ago and the battery life when full charged is under 3 hours.:eek: ouch, just realized how bad it was

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Sure. It has a nice relatively tough shell and FireWire. You can't get those in a current iPod.
    Support comes from HP instead of Apple, and HP aren't very interested if you have problems using the unit with a Mac. That's about it.

12. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

It won't, as long as you take care of it. Okay it isn't quite as durable as the mini, but would you take $200 cash into a swimming pool with you, without any form of protection? No, then don't do silly things like putting it in a pocket with keys without the necessary protection

In saying all that, the price, capacity and features differences would draw me towards the mini still.

13. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Better stop importing those AIFF/WAV files to it then.:D