Get an iPod now? (Windows user)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sambront, Dec 4, 2004.

1. sambront macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a Windows user, and apparently I am getting an iPod for Christmas.

I will be using it for music, but also as an external HD.

Is now a good time to buy one? I would be getting the 40GB non-photo iPod.

I understand Apple updates stuff often. I don't want to buy now, and in February have a 60GB model for the same price. Or one with extra features, etc.

I know nobody can tell the future, but is now a good time to buy an iPod?

Thanks

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

According to the Buyer's Guide it's listed as near end of cycle, though it may be out of date because it doesn't reflect the iPod Photo update.

My personal advice: There will always be something better, faster, smaller, cheaper coming out, and iPod updates don't seem to be too imminent (not even rumors AFAIK) so if you like the current 40GB version and are willing to pay the asking price, then be happy with what you have and don't worry about what is coming out.

3. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Ditto. iPods don't drop in price or get updated THAT often, so considering they were just updated last August, and then the iPod photo just came out, I don't think you're in too much danger.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I agree with Stoid. There may be something new out in February, or there may not be. It could be six or more months before another update. Go ahead and go for it.

How much music do you have? I've heard that the iPod doesn't make that great of an external HD. It's not very fast, or anything. My guess is it's really only good for backing up.

5. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Also, I should mention that I got a 15 gb 3G iPod right before the 4G's came out, and although I would have preferred having the latest and biggest, the 3G does everything I need it to, and I'm totally happy with it, so I don't waste time wishing I had something newer.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

If your going to get one you better one now. I will bet you they will be impossible to find near Christmas time.

jon

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Like the other's have said, get it now. The 4G iPod just came out in July and I don't foree any 5G iPod anytime soon. I think the 3G iPod and 4G iPod had a bit over a year gap between them.

8. sambront thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

i have a decent amount of music. i would be using it to play music on the go, and to hook up to my stereo.

i would also be using it for the calendar features, etc, which would be helpfull (is that easy to do?)

as for a HD, it doesn't need to be speedy. I would just like to have all of my website development stuff, lots of photos (don't need the "photo iPod, though), etc.

i expect to use this for 2-3 years, then upgrade. i'm not so concerned with them releasing a 60GB in six months. i am pretty sure they will do that in a year, and probably add the color screen to the non-iPods. those features are nice, but they wouldn't stop me from buying now.

what i want to avoid is getting an iPod now, then in six months apple releases a video-iPod, or a wireless/bluetooth ipod...or most importantly an iPod that lets me plug my camera in directly and offload pictures.

thanks for the reponses.

9. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

I have an iPod on Windows, and I haven't found a really easy way to use the calendar part of it. I know there are some 3rd party programs, but I haven't been a big fan of any of the ones I've tried. Maybe other people have had better success. The ability to use it to keep contacts and calendar info is one reason I am trying to swtich to a Mac from my POS Windows machine.

10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I was a Windows user for a long time, and in search of a good calendar program for a long time. I think your best bets would be the Outlook calendar or the eventSherpa thing. Personally, I disliked both. I've never seen anything that's as good as iCal on the Mac.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well if your scared of an update then you will never buy to be honest. Apple is going to go far with the iPod. I am on my fourth one and I always resell mine for a great price, they have a good resale value cause everyone and their mother wants one.

I would say just get one now before they are gone for Christmas. You will fall in love with it and use it all the time. If something cool comes out, sell it, take a loss and put the cash towards a new one and always stay current.

jon

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not happening in 6 months. Full stop.

1-2 years, perhaps...