Get Apple Works Free or at least free trial

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imacintel, Apr 19, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

Mar 12, 2006
    I was wondering if it was possible for me to get a free version of AppleWorks, or at least some free trial.

Thanks for all help.
    You know which computer im running its in my name
  2. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    Queens, NYC
    Um...why? It's so freakin' old. It's also not Universal.
  3. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 12, 2006

Because I..wel...liker it.
  4. tag macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2005
    PA, US
    Well I don't think you are going to have much luck getting it for free especially since Apple still sells Appleworks for $79 (and I haven't seen any trials for it around). Perhaps you could get a used copy of it by going on ebay and buying it, or maybe even buying a Panther install dvd(not sure if this would be more or less than buying appleworks outright) (as I know my iMac G4 came with Appleworks 6 on it's Panther DVD).
  5. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2006
    I don't know if it even runs on Intel, but although you might like it, I think Pages is a lot better.
  6. emaja macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    How about Open Office? It is free and does a good job.

You are going to have to move on from AW since it has not been developed for a while and Apple is no longer bundling it with computers.
  7. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 12, 2006

It comes with Emacs and iBooks
  8. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Between cats, dogs and wanderlust.
    Well, I believe downloading it would be illegal as Apple still maintains it for purchase on the Apple store. I can't see why it wouldn't run on Intel via Rosetta, but if it does not and you have Parallels, you can run the Windows version (that'd be dripping with irony):

I'm not sure if that is simply limited to the Education store. A quick search over the normal Apple store reveals that the only edition sold therein is the Macintosh version, which as said previously, retails for $79.00. That's a bit ludicrous considering it's essentially a five year+ old product.

But if you're in university, you should be able to order it for 39.00 dollars and use it via Rosetta or Boot Camp/Parallels. I don't believe it's ever been bundled with OS X, but rather bundled as part of the Applications CD that comes with every new Macs (in this case, PPC only; AW is not bundled with Intel-based Macs). At this point, though, I wouldn't pay a dime for AW, as much as it pains me to say it.

If you search enough you can find the installers [for Mac and for Win] on the Internet, not that I advocate piracy. Otherwise, NeoOffice/J is a decent compromise, I suppose.
  9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    AppleWorks does work under Rosetta.

The OS X discs including AppleWorks were system restore discs that came with machines. It is not present on standalone versions of OS X, you have to buy it separately.
  10. emaja macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    eMacs are no longer sold to consumers and iBooks are going to be replaced by the Intel models. None of the new consumer level Intel Macs have AppleWorks bundled with them anymore. The pro-level Macs never had it.
  11. mentalboy macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2007

hi. I need to open a .cwk document as soon as possible. I use the app for my cd disk chart. It was supplied on an older (1 yr) install disc for my iMac (10.4). I am working at another location on a borrowed system that only has iWork. I just need to open the document and get some nos.
    Can you help me please?