Get File Path w Filename

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by doubledee, Jul 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

doubledee

In Mountain Lion, is there an easy way to get the File Path + Filename of a file selected in Finder?

(It seems like there was a way to do this in Snow Leopard - although it was a PITA - but I don't see anything in ML.)

There are lots of times I want/need this, and right now it would help when I check the SHA1 for apps I download.

For example, if I downloaded something like OpenOffice in my "reallyLongPathTo/zDownloads" directory, it would help to quickly copy the File Path + File name from Finder so I can paste it into Terminal and easily run a check on the SHA1 digest.

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

3. macrumors 6502

doubledee

I tried this...

So how do I find this "service" I created?

What if I need to rename it or delete it?

Debbie

4. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

You should be able to see the service, rename it or delete it from within the Automator app.

5. macrumors 6502

doubledee

But I don't...

Debbie

6. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

It may be simpler for you to just drag the file into the Terminal window to get the file path.

7. macrumors 6502

doubledee

I'm going to try that when my OO download is done, and the script above works, but I just want to know where it is stored so if I ever want to Rename it, Copy it, Delete it, etc I know how to...

Debbie

8. macrumors demi-god

Weaselboy

Services are kept in this Folder. ~ = your personal users folder. Shift-command-g (all three at once) in Finder then paste this in and enter.

Code:
    ~/Library/Services

9. macrumors 6502

doubledee

Is that a hidden directory?

If so, how do I show hidden directories in Finder?

Sincerely,

Debbie

10. macrumors demi-god

Weaselboy

Yes... by default the user library folder is hidden. You can option key click the Go menu in Finder to see it, or you can run the command below in Terminal to keep it unhidden. It will get hidden again every time a new OS update comes out like 10.8.5.

Code:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library

11. macrumors 6502

doubledee

Is it bad to leave that unhidden?

And how would I reverse it?

Maybe...

Code:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library
    :confused:

Sincerely,

Debbie

12. macrumors demi-god

Weaselboy

You can hide it again with the command below, but there really is no downside to leaving it unhidden. Apple just hides it to keep uninformed users from getting in there are breaking things by tinkering around.

Code:
    chflags hidden ~/Library

13. macrumors demi-god

Unhide it, and drag it to the Finder sidebar, where it will remain unhidden through updates.

14. macrumors 6502

doubledee

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Sincerely,

Debbie