Get Info Problems in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GodBless, May 10, 2005.

1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Unlike in Panther when I select multiple files in Tiger and press command+I or right/control click on the selected items and select "Get Info" from the contextual menu I get multiple windows (one for each file) of one window for my selected content. I know that you can add option to the keyboard shortcut (command+option+I) or hold down option while right/control clicking and select show inspector on the contextual menu to get an inspector window that will have one window for showing info about multiple items, but the problem is that Finder only allows you to have one inspector window open and the inspector window changes depending on the content that is selected. This makes it impossible to compare information on two groups of files at a time.

This is the worst thing that happened to Tiger yet! :mad:

So the question is does anyone know how to compare two groups of multiple files in two separate get info boxes instead of several? Are there any 3rd party software solutions? Apple should add support for viewing info in one "Get Info" window for multiple files in 10.4.1 although I doubt that they will.

And no, don't tell me I need to use iStink (iSync that is) because I am just making sure SuperDuper! backs up what I need it to in Tiger. This is because I had a problem with SuperDuper!'s backup the first time I tried it in Tiger when SuperDuper! didn't give me a bootable drive. I'm not sure if it was because Spotlight was indexing the volume partition while SuperDuper! was backing up my data or what the problem was. I know that the version of SuperDuper! that I am using is supposed to support Tiger. SuperDuper did give me a bootable drive (for a while at least) after I cloned Tiger a second time though but I just turned on my cloned drive today and it booted to the command line immediately after showing the Apple at startup for less than a second and before the spinning circular fragmented lines thing came up at the start up screen. I tried a little disk diagnostics but nothing seemed to work. Now I need the "Get Info" to work properly to solve my problem. It is really too bad that Tiger has poor support for "Get Info." This is just one more thing that makes the Finder terrible. Maybe Apple wanted to dull down the Finder a little before 10.5 where I hope they really improve it. That's the only logical thing that I can think of.

2. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

I found a fix for this problem. Just hold down control+command+I and you are set with a "proper" Get Info window for multiple items. Hopefully this will help anyone who has the same problem.