Get Of My Computer!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, Nov 27, 2002.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok guys i have this file called playerOSX2 on my decktop and i can't for the life of me get it of my machine. Its a document file and is gray with a little Internet explorer symbol on it. Did anyone run into this problem or know a simple way to delete this file?

Attached Files:

2. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohh the trash warning that pop states:

Attached Files:

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Re: Get Of My Computer!!!!

I'd try leave it on the desktop (not in the trash) and log into root and try deleting it there (PS it will be in /users/(your user name HERE)/desktop). If you still can't do it in root try changing the privileges in the info window, then try deleting again.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Try deleting it with Delete It

(you don't need to log in to root)

irmongoose

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Wow, that's interesting. I didn't know that existed. Oh well, it's always nice to play around in root and get your feet wet with ALL that power and all...

6. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

You've been Terminated...

irmongoose is right, also try a little app Called "Force Delete" on VersionTracker.com, I've obliterated Yahoo Messenger files that refused to go quitely by draggin and dropping them onto Force Delete.... I subsequently have not stopped hating Yahoo Messenger for putting junk files on my disk that played with permissions. Scr*w Yahoo!

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

can't you just hold down option while deleting it (command +
    option + delete) and it will delete everything even if it is being
    used and all that other crap? I know you could in OS 9, and I
    don't see why apple would take that feature out in OS X.

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

It's all because of Unix. There are some major advantages to Unix, yes, but there are a few disadvantages, too... and one of them is that things aren't that simple.

irmongoose

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

move it to your trash then folow these instructions:

open terminal in /Applications/Utilities
    go to /Users/<username>/Desktop

type these in as i type them:

Code:
    sudo rm -rf .Trash
    mkdir .Trash

also enter you password when it asks you - it is your root password. You will need the root account enabled for this. It works and it is what Delete It does. Hope it helps.

10. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Here's another idea. Try stopping the task it is working on. That is an IE download icon, which means it is a download in progress. What might have happened is that you disconnected from the net while downloading. Not sure about IE,but in Omniweb, a download will hang indefinitely if you disconnect before completing download. So go to IE download manager (in the window menu), select the guilty download and kill it. Then delete the file.
    Again, I'm not sure if this is the cause, but it is likely. The other methods described are good to know about since everything you can't delete will not be all downloads.

11. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

The same thing happens to me occasionally. I found the easiest solution to use the Terminal. And I also found that you don't have to sudo or be root.

rm /Users/yourusername/Desktop/PlayerOSX2

Bam!

12. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanx guys for all your input, i downed delete it as irmongoose suggested but will consider other alternatives if future IE issues occur.

This is why macrumors is so awesome. It's helpful members

Tyler

13. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

ROOT?

How do you log into root exactly? Do you use your User password? I'm confused...:confused:

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That info can be found here - its not something everyone needs to do, but it may come in handy once in a while. I wouldn't go playing around with it unless you're absolutely comfortable working in a shell.

D

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That is why I love macrumors so much, not
    only is the community fun, nice, and all of
    that, but they are knowledgable and
    helpful.

BTW - you should get rid of IE. You should
    use Chimera, Phoenix, or basically any other
    browser there is.

16. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

scem0. dont get rid of it, just stop it being your default for anything. That way you can access those sites that dont like mozzi.

Oh and msn messenger wont work properly without it either.

17. bidge macrumors 6502

How about you restart your computer and then delete the file/empty the trash

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

bidge: Could you please write that larger? I could barely read it in the next room. :D

Tyler: Why not go into Internet Exploder, open the Download Manager Window, find the download and delete it from there?

19. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

i use ichat anyway. im sure it wil get better with version 2.0, i really dont mind IE that much, i dont want to start downloading 4 different browsers on my comp. Maybe later on, once im more familiar with macs.

tyler

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(bidge) [REALLY BIG FONT SIZE] How about you restart your computer and then delete the file/empty the trash[/FONT]

[Size=uhh, I guess 94,708] bidge! I'm not sure if you can read this, but I think he already tried doing that! [/94,708] :p

TyleRomeo, if you find IE to be a big pain in the donkey, you may want to check out Chimera. Remember, it's still in beta. Even though Mozilla 1.2 has been released, I don't think I am willing to trust it, and I haven't trusted it for about three weeks now. :rolleyes:

21. tliptak macrumors regular

I really hope apple come's out with a web browser. I hate IE and all the other ones i've tried arn't really that good. Guess I just have to use chimara for a while longer.

22. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

king cobra,

i have only one problem with chimera and that is that ms deos everything in its power to make it useless. that ensures that macs for some years are going to be carrying IE in some form or another.

if only so we can continue to have MS Office support.

23. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Because it doesn't work!

24. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

my grandma came over and had to take off her glasses cause all she saw was black.

WRITE SMALLER

we will all be better for it.