Get Out of IVR Hell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Nov 23, 2005.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

From ABC News - Blogger Paul English has compiled tips to get to a human operator when calling into a company's electronic phone system. The technology -- called "interactive voice response" or IVR -- saves companies money, but many people find it irritating.

http://paulenglish.com/ivr/

Tips to reach a human being at a lot of companies 800 numbers.

Attached Files:

2. LiamF macrumors newbie

Get Out of IVR Hell - http://paulenglish.com/ivr/ -- appears to be broken

Get Out of IVR Hell
    From ABC News - Blogger Paul English has compiled tips to get to a human operator when calling into a company's electronic phone system. The technology -- called "interactive voice response" or IVR -- saves companies money, but many people find it irritating.

http://paulenglish.com/ivr/ -- appears to be broken

Tips to reach a human being at a lot of companies 800 numbers.
    Attached Files
    File Type: pdf IVR Hell.pdf (63.0 KB, 52 views)

3. blow45 macrumors 68000

I usually just jam all the keys after a certain point, it works some of the time. :cool:

the only system I find non irritating is a the apple store, and I am not saying this cause I dig apple, it's pretty good, gets what you are saying and above all it's minimal.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Usually dialing 0 if none of the choices match what you want will get you a real human.

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Well, since this thread has been brought back from the dead: There is another site that has tips for getting to a real person on such as system. Try this one: Get Human.

6. blow45 macrumors 68000

the funny thing is that if you do eventually get to a human being some of the times you are so pissed off you wanna tell the poor employee to eff off, and they are the last person to blame... but I mean you gotta vent to someone, don't you...

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Or they are off-shore, and we immediately have a "failure to comm'nicate". ;)

Up in the Great White North, if we know this is going to happen with a vendor who will remain unnamed *coughHellcough*, we just punch the number for a French-speaking person. This will get you a very nice person in Montreal, who will undoubtedly be bilingual, and you are off to the races in solving your problem.

:D

8. blow45 macrumors 68000

lol! seems the bots in voice recognition are programmed to react and behave like offshore representatives too which could be seen as a logical step since the two species are not that far apart it seems in the way they do their job.:p

9. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Hahahaha, cue the Capital One commercial starring, "This is Pegggggg-ee."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md43_fjlY-M

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Social Security Administration has this. i began to wonder if my "****** this” and “this is bullsh**" was being interpreted the last time I called them.

11. blow45 macrumors 68000

aggie, seeing how much "training" these things get at expletives, I would think that's what they interpret best. "Hi, I am here to help you, I am the automated service, did you just tell to go .... myself? Yes. I am sorry could you repeat that I did not understand.":D

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

So just in case I get stupid drunk and buy an HP product again, how do I get in touch with someone in HP support that speaks English ?