Get Paid to surf the net on a mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by awulf, May 3, 2002.

1. awulf macrumors 6502

I am look for one of those get paid to surf programs for the mac but I haven't had much luck yet. One company though www.valuepay.com says they are going to release the piggybox program for the mac soon.
    Do you guys know of any get paid to surf programs for the mac?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

so how exactly does one get paid to surf the net anyway?!

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Get Paid to surf the net on a mac

Oh, there's got to be a scam in this somewhere.

If I had .001¢ for every website I visited, I'd be a millionaire......

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

They put an ad-bar on your screen and you're forced to look at flashing ads all day. It's not much money, and most of the companies only send checks when you get like $500, which is not often. I used one of these in VPC just to check 'em out, and it was worthless.

:)
    pnw

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, if you have two monitors in your Mac, yopu could place the banner I think that is what you are talkin about) in the secund screen and forget about it.

Or if you have a Powerbook, you can plug anything connected to the video out and that is it!

Now, you first need to be a lazzy mother****e* to think to get money that way or a unemployed video editor or something like that.

6. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

You can't let it sit idle though. You must be actively clicking in order to get paid. A friend of mine found a way around it though, he wrote a program that would go make his browser go to a list of website every few min. He would let this run while he slept, and he started getting checks for $20 every week. Too bad the company went out of business. But he did make a few hundred dollars off of it

7. Wildcat macrumors regular

My opinion is that you are better off forgeting about those " pay to surf" programs. They will also not pay you till your acount reaches some set amount. There is also a pyramid scheme worked in there too. Where you get other people to surf under you and you get a percentage of the money they make. Rule of thumb if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. sorry

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm surprised there are still any of those around period. It was very popular once upon a time.

It worked like this: It's March of 2000. You are in the bizdev department of idiotic.com, a free portal site employing the entire population of a small Northern California city. Your site is supported by venture capital dollars and advertising revenue from the ads you sell on your pages. Because it's March of 2000, you negotiate a ridiculous per-view price, with a bonus for clickthroughs. Your eyes light up with little dollar signs when you realize that, with your current hit rates (and some "projected future growth" numbers which fail to take into account that the world only contains six billion people), you realize that by 2006 you'll only be losing three gazillion dollars a quarter.

In March of 2000 dotcom terms, this is defined as "success," but you're not satisfied. You're determined to take the industry by storm by becoming the first free portal site on track to lose only TWO gazillion dollars a quarter by 2003. So you take some of that free money the nice venture capitalist gave you out of the goodness of his heart and you make a deal with this little company that pays users when they visit certain sites. The little company pays users significantly less than the exorbitant amount you charge advertisers, so you can afford to pay a company which in turn pays people to look at the ads you're being paid to display.

It's good for everyone... well, everyone except your advertiser, who gets hit with an entirely unexpected 150 bazillion dollar bill for page views, most of which were college kids in search of money for beer and smokes who found ways to automatically surf to sites on the list over and over and over with nobody actually looking at the screen. And for his 150 bazillion dollar advertising investment, your advertiser saw 173 clickthroughs and 8 purchases. Net ROI: approximately negative 150 bazillion dollars, give or take the value of 8 widgets.

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm surprised there are still any of those around period. It was very popular once upon a time.

It worked like this: It's March of 2000. You are in the bizdev department of idiotic.com, a free portal site employing the entire population of a small Northern California city. Your site is supported by venture capital dollars and advertising revenue from the ads you sell on your pages. Because it's March of 2000, you negotiate a ridiculous per-view price, with a bonus for clickthroughs. Your eyes light up with little dollar signs when you realize that, with your current hit rates (and some "projected future growth" numbers which fail to take into account that the world only contains six billion people), you realize that by 2006 you'll only be losing three gazillion dollars a quarter.

In March of 2000 dotcom terms, this is defined as "success," but you're not satisfied. You're determined to take the industry by storm by becoming the first free portal site on track to lose only TWO gazillion dollars a quarter by 2003. So you take some of that free money the nice venture capitalist gave you out of the goodness of his heart and you make a deal with this little company that pays users when they visit certain sites. The little company pays users significantly less than the exorbitant amount you charge advertisers, so you can afford to pay a company which in turn pays people to look at the ads you're being paid to display.

It's good for everyone... well, everyone except your advertiser, who gets hit with an entirely unexpected 150 bazillion dollar bill for page views, most of which were college kids in search of money for beer and smokes who found ways to automatically surf to sites on the list over and over and over with nobody actually looking at the screen. And for his 150 bazillion dollar advertising investment, your advertiser saw 173 clickthroughs and 8 purchases. Net ROI: approximately negative 150 bazillion dollars, give or take the value of 8 widgets.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ok so I'll stick to my day job and get paid to actually do something...

that....and surf macrumors...he he he :p

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

So, are these technical terms? ;)

12. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I used to do this through a company called All Advantage. They went out of business, but it was good while it lasted.

I wrote a program that made the All Advantage program think I was surfing by filling its two requirements:
    a) The program moved to a different website every minute or so
    b) The program moved the mouse

Ran it while I slept. Smack, bang, $$$ in the mail. I love cheating idiots like them out of money.

My girlfriend at the time had a PC. She used a program she got off the Internet to do the same thing as my program did. Trouble was, when she opened the envelope they sent her, it wasn't a cheque. It was a letter explaining why there was no cheque... they could tell she was using the program! She got banned.

A month or so later, they went out of business.