Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
yes, 20" is much too large for a laptop...but that wouldn't stop people from buying it for bragging rights. There are of course the same people that "require" 2gb of ram for checking their e-mail.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Pressure said:
You mean like the iMac? :p

whats your point? there is more than one computer company in the world. shocking! :eek:

also these are more portable and conveniently fold up

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
dornoforpyros said:
yes, 20" is much to large for a laptop...but that wouldn't stop people from buying it for bragging rights. There are of course the same people that "require" 2gb of ram for checking their e-mail.

right. because no one would play games on them.... :rolleyes:

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
jemmX said:
what about the display? :confused:

And a 30" ACD on top of the Mac Pro. By the way, has anyone noticed that Apple has released the iGenerator for using your Mac Pro and ACD on the go? :D

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
What a joke. Same resolution as the 17" MBP- what's the big deal!

viperguy said:
Nah, I'd prefer a 20'' laptop in this case... an iMac is heavy... not counting that you'd have to plug in the wall everytime you needed to use it lol :p

Um....its barely lighter than the 20" iMac!

jemmX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Hamburg
What a joke. Same resolution as the 17" MBP- what's the big deal!

I think its less diffcult to read or work in a small display with the same resolution.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
jemmX said:
I think its less diffcult to read or work in a small display with the same resolution.

I don't know. The 17'' seems to accomodate its resolution just fine. I might see your point if that were the resolution on a 15'' or lower, but 17'' is fine. 20'' should have 1900x1200, not 1680x1050. (If that is, in fact, the resolution of the 20'' Acer)

jemmX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Hamburg
yes, we supoused 1920x1200 pixels.

If the new MBP 17" dont have this resolution, a big desilusion for us.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
i dont think the dell one looks all that bad, kinda clunky but the keyboard thing is kinda neat. A disgusting price tag though...

Imagine carrying that Acer one around? damn, i hate carrying around my macbook with a few textbooks let alone a 20lbs "lap"top...

hehe but thing how funny it would be to see some student bust out that beast in english class lol

jemmX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Hamburg
No imagine a student with a big laptop, but i think is a good choice for a "Pro"
I like it so much a portable desktop, and if i need a small laptop i use it the macbook wife ;)

Source: CNet News

L33tdawg: Personally, I think 17 inches is already pretty massive not to mention it already weighs a ton! If you intend to use the notebook as a desktop replacement, then hell-yeah, 20 inches sounds mighty sweet -- but unless you're a body builder, I doubt the thought of lugging what could possibly weigh 6 or more kilos entices you all that much.

Apple reduce to 4kg max.

jemmX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Hamburg
"But are consumers ready to lug around a 20-inch laptop? Shim said that displays measuring 15 inches and 17 inches on the diagonal--once considered too big to carry around--are now among the more popular versions.

Even larger screen sizes are in the pipeline. Samsung has already shown its upcoming 19-inch laptop to CNET Reviews. The product is expected to ship later this year. Dell, a major partner of Samsung, could easily adopt the large screen format for its high-end XPS laptops. And, LG Philips is also touting its 20-inch LCD displays for laptops, Shim said.

But noteworthy to Shim is the speed with which computer makers are replacing standard formats with wide-screen displays. "It won't be that hard for suppliers and computer makers to transition to the larger sizes," Shim said. "It's really just a matter of being more efficient. Samsung and LG Philips have this larger piece of mother glass and then cut it down and convert it into individual units to cut down on waste."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.