Get rid of hideous mail icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maverick808, Apr 29, 2005.

1. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Judging by comments on this and other forums I know I'm probably going to be in a minority when I say this – but I don't think the new Mail looks that bad. Granted, the GUI seems to be getting a more and more inconsistent (which is not a good thing) but my knickers are currently untwisted about Mail's new look.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Compared to the old Mail, I'll take Mail 2.0. :D

4. maverick808 thread starter macrumors 65816

maverick808

I agree that 2.0 has far more functionality than what was in Panther and is overall a far improved app. I just think the icons are ugly. As the arstechnica review points out the icons are contrary to Apple's own guidelines...

5. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Nice app. But like the guys above said, the new interface has actually grown on me a lot. I hate to say it, but I like it!

6. Cali_Man macrumors member

Without commenting on the aesthetics of the new icons, I'm not sure I agree with it necessarily being a bad thing to contradict accepted guidlines (innovation is always a good thing). I do think their look in relation to their functionality has taken a step back however, but it does seem to give the app a more cohesive look.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I figure I will give the new Mail a few weeks to see if I can decide I like it. Sometimes I find, after some time, that I come to appreciate Apple's ways of doing things. Not always -- *cough* Multisession burns *cough* -- but sometimes. :)

8. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

Mail's UI is appalling full stop. Apple is not innovating, they are messing around.

To quote John Siracusa:
    'The first time I saw the new Mail toolbar, I filed a bug on it. (Radar 3968093: "Toolbar buttons in Mail 2.0 are hideously ugly.") It was immediately closed as a duplicate, so at least one other person agrees with me.'

Huge UI inconsistencies are what I pay extra to avoid when I use OS X (on Apple hardware)...