1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

get rid of norton

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Scenicroadways, May 27, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

someone installed norton utilities, (i know it sucks) onto my ibook G4, so I located all the files and put them in the trash only to find out that I needed to run an uninstall program. Now I am left with a message on bootup and an icon in system prefs. for norton. I want it gone! anyone know how to get rid of it? and if it is taking up resources?

2. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

3. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Why does it suck? I'm a soon-to-be-switcher (getting my PB in about 4 weeks), so I've been using PC for the last many years. Norton has saved me many times, the utilities function as well (especially when I messed up an OS upgrade and the utilities gave me the option of resetting to the earlier configuration). I haven't had time to examine virus programs for Mac, but I also thought they are pretty unnecessary. My brother (an experienced Mac-user) tells me that the password requirement for installing/upgrading pretty much keeps viruses from establishing themselves.

Anyway - I thought those who write and spread viruses, only to it to get Bill Gates??

4. macrumors 65816

tomf87

I put Norton Utilities on my iMac back in 2001 and it trashed the OS upon install. No booting at all would occur. You shouldn't need the product anyway.