Get rid of Tiger Mail’s lozenge buttons

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 14, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Software
    Link: Get rid of Tiger Mail’s lozenge buttons
    Description:: Foad Afshanti has posted a disk image containing the “de-lozenged” icons from Tristan O’Tierney’s Cage Fighter, a utility (broken since 10.4.6) that removes the bubble from the buttons. The disk image also contains the buttons from Panther Mail and instructions on how to manually install them into Mail.app’s package. However, there is an easier way. Andrew Escobar’s Mail Stamps still works nicely.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502a

eh

Personally I like the "lozenge" buttons. It's a bit easier on the hand-eye coordination to click on a whole button than one that's just a little picture.

Eh well - to each his own...

3. macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yeah, the author of the Ars Technica article linked to on that site (which complains about the lozenge buttons) manages, apparently without realizing it, to explain a perfectly good reason for the lozenge buttons when he worries about the merging of the titlebar/toolbar.

The click activation regions for toolbar buttons are not always easy to predict. They often extend well beyond the bounds of the toolbar graphic itself.​

...and so clearly identifying the clickable region for each button makes a lotta sense...

4. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The lozenge buttons are really cool, I prefer them,

SHadoW

5. macrumors 6502a

brepublican

6. macrumors 68030

benthewraith

I use Thunderbird, so...

But a Widescreen mail option built in (not some third party thing) would be nice.

7. macrumors 6502

I prefer the buttons in Tiger Mail. They actually look like buttons, not just some icons floating around. Their function becomes visually more clear. And as you hover over them, they become highlighted. I think Mail is just a preview of things to come, meaning more apps will be introduced with this button style in Leopard.

8. macrumors 6502

"Not everyone likes the new lozenge buttons in Tiger Mail."

New? They've been around since Tiger debuted 1.5 years ago. It must be the same kind of "new" that "new music now" refers to when the radio stations play a 3 month old song for the 400th time.

9. macrumors 68020

wmmk

i think he means new compared to panther.

10. macrumors 6502a

Brize

Only the clickable regions in Mail.app aren't so clearly defined. You can click on the button itself or on the label directly underneath, but clicking between the two does nothing.

11. macrumors 65816

telecomm

Clicking between them activates the button here. Anyway, the buttons do provide for a better defined target area, even if it doesn't encompass the whole clickable area.

12. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I just wis they'd nuke the jelly bean scroll bars & form buttons in OS X. Even with graphite turned on they still stick out like sore thumbs

13. macrumors 6502a

Brize

Click just under the button and you'll see what I mean.

14. macrumors 65816

telecomm

Oh yeah... wow, how did you discover this? The inactive area looks about 2 pixels high on my screen.

15. macrumors 6502a

Well I wish Apple would provide some way to resize the close window, resize and hide buttons on the upper left. They are ridiculously small. And they have no padding around them.

They might be a decent size for a 15" monitor, but not for 20"+.

Can't stand them...

16. macrumors 65816

telecomm

Maybe resolution independence in Leopard will help with this.