Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kassandra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Alright, I have a really old mac (Performa 630 CD) which doesn't have an ethernet port, however, I do have a modem for it and would like to connect to my pc running windows xp as an internet gateway to my fast cable connection. Basicly, I want to connect the modem from the old mac to the modem on the pc, and be able to access my cable modem's connection through the connection to the pc via modem. I know this would limit the speed to 56k or slower to the mac, but it's such a slow old machine it wouldnt matter, it's not even a powermac. Why would I want to do this? To get some use out of the old thing, I found a site that has some software like aol instant messanger for 68k mac, so that would be useful right there, especially when i'm playing games on the pc. Anyways, has anyone done anything like this? Is it even possible? How if so? What software will I need?

Thanks alot for any replies.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I think you should actually just invest in a cheap AAUI (the connection type) to RJ-45 (Ethernet) adapter and get some decent speed out of it.

Check http://www.lowendmac.com for some info on that model about upgrades, usage, etc.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
You can't just connect the two modems, you'd need a "telephone line simulator". If you go to a flea market or hamfest, or user group meeting, someone should have an AAUI transceiver for almost nothing.

To share your cable connection with multiple computers, you should have a router, too, though.

The Performa is not going to be all that useful this way. I suggest instead putting Mac OS 8 on it (or 7.6) and getting some of the old classic games like 'Day of the Tentacle'. Also, install Clarisworks on it, and use it for a word processor. If you have any kids, let them do their homework on it.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
630 doesn't have AAUI.

Unfortunately, unless he has the Ethernet model, an AAUI-to-Ethernet adapter won't do him any good. The 630 doesn't have ANY form of Ethernet onboard; you need a Comm-slot Ethernet card for that.

So connecting to Ethernet is basically impossible with what you've got now. What you might want to search for is a SCSI-to-Ethernet adaptor. Asanté used to make some good ones in their 'EN/SC' line. (I'm using such devices to get a Mac Plus online, as well as a PowerBook 140.) They don't make them any more, but there are always some available on eBay.

Another option is a LocalTalk-to-Ethernet adaptor, which Asanté DOES still make. (The AsantéTalk) Unfortunately, it's a royal pain to get TCP/IP working over one of these.

Kassandra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Sacramento, CA
"him"?

anyways, i have os 8.1 installed and running on it, and clarisworks aswell, honestly i don't think the machine could handle anything faster then 56k for web browsing, with only 24mb of ram it has problems running netscape navigator 4 even

i'd just like to get a little use out of it, it's just sitting there

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
ehurtley said:
Unfortunately, unless he has the Ethernet model, an AAUI-to-Ethernet adapter won't do him any good. The 630 doesn't have ANY form of Ethernet onboard; you need a Comm-slot Ethernet card for that.

Sorry about that. I thougt that like the other 600s (650 anyone?) it had Ethernet onboard or AAUI. Or maybe I am just reaalllyyy confused. Anyway.

Low End Mac will tell you want to do. I gave you the URL above...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Kassandra said:
Oops... Sorry, mostly just meant in the androgynous pronoun usage, but also just being lazy an unobservant.
anyways, i have os 8.1 installed and running on it, and clarisworks aswell, honestly i don't think the machine could handle anything faster then 56k for web browsing, with only 24mb of ram it has problems running netscape navigator 4 even

i'd just like to get a little use out of it, it's just sitting there

iCab is a modern browser that still has a 68k version, and runs quite well on even an ancient SE/30 with 8MB of RAM. (One of these days I'm going to try it on my Macintosh II. It also only has 8MB of RAM, but it does have color, and an 1152x864 monitor; so it would be fun to see how well it works in color on such a slow machine.)

I can tell the difference between dial-up and DSL on the SE/30 using iCab. (Ironically, the lack of memory makes faster internet connections *MORE* noticeable, since it can't have a RAM cache.)

(So you know, iCab's min sys specs are a 68020 with 5MB free RAM, and System 7.0.1)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.