Get the 17" PB now?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cabot, May 27, 2003.

  1. Cabot macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #1
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this website (just registered) and I've got some PowerBook questions. A little about me first. I just switched back to Mac from the dark and dismal world of windows (no, it does not desreve capitaliziation). I've got a PowerMac Cube for my desktop and I love it.
    Now for my question. I'm looking into buying a PowerBook. I don't know if I should buy the 17" PB now, or wait for the AL 15". I do have a time constraint. I would like to get a PB before June 10 (Euro Trip). After reading this post, it seems that the 17" has issues? Is that right? I'm a demanding user, so the more power the better. What would you guys reccomend? Also, do you think that the 17" might be 1.2GHz by August? Thank you all very much!
     
  2. maradong macrumors 65816

    maradong

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Luxembourg
    #2
    Re: Get the 17" PB now?

    1 welcome on the board, and the rest of the blabla :D
    id say that the pb 17 has got some little revisions, and is now really without any bigger problems. no machine ever ships without any error, never.
    well the pb 15 is a nice machine, or will be, but i don t think it will be aviable before 10 th june...
     
  3. iGav macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    #3
    If the revised 15" gets a speed boost, you can be sure that an update on the 17" really won't be that long behind....

    I've got a 1GHz PowerBook at the moment and had a 17" on order, till I came to my senses and decided going from one 1GHz machine to another 1GHz machine made little sense!!

    I think we'll see an update sooner rather than later!!
     
  4. orangefoodie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2003
    Location:
    Entirely TOO FLAT Ann Arbor, MI
    #4
    Re: Re: Get the 17" PB now?

    I agree, it seems rather unlikely that the Al-15" would be available by the 10th of June, considering even shipping across the country to retailers and then distributing them to customers would take around three weeks as well... Though it'd be nice if Apple could turn around and do that (I waited two months after the Steve-announced release date of the 17", dammit!).

    Anyways, the point is, I have the 17", there are no major flaws (I could even say that there are NO flaws, aside from the somewhat annoying sizzling that happens when the processor is idle at highest rate, but YMMV on this issue). If you need it for the trip, then by all means go with the 17". You'll learn to handle it's bigness quickly (as well as the comments from zillions of other people about how big it is).
     
  5. jefhatfield Retired

    jefhatfield

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2000
    #5
    i can't see apple greatly improving anything before june 10th

    go for the large 17 inch machine
     
  6. dennis88 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 13, 2003
    #6
    Go for it now, or else you will just be sitting there, waiting for the next great thing forever.
     
  7. iJon macrumors 604

    iJon

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2002
    #7
    Re: Re: Re: Get the 17" PB now?

    well usually after something is introduced they are in apple stores that day or in resellers in a couple of days. not always though, we all remember what happened with the 17inch powerbook and when the new imac came out.

    iJon
     
  8. windwaves macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2002
    Location:
    manhattan
  9. Cabot thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #9
    Hi everone. Thanks for welcoming me and for your input. Now I've got another question. I spent maybe 2 minutes with the 17" in NYC but I did not really get a feel for it. Would you guys say that its too wide to be mobile? I would use this in class, in the air, at Starbuck's, and sitting at the gate at the airport. Is this PB just too wide and everything? I've heard (read online) that its not too bulkly to be portable, and thats its thinness works to its atvantage. I'm sorry to pester you guys with my questions. Also, does anyone think that a 970 might be in it if I bought it in August? Thanks again!
    -Cabot
     
  10. Raiwong macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    #10
    r u joking r you really buff? this 17" isn't meant for portability its meant to be amovable desktop replacement. Though undoubtly you can use it for starbucks or just fit into a airplace tray, it be rather uncomfortable. Using it in a store and owning it is two things, the weight might become unconfortable.

    Of course it be a personal preference, but I think it is no good a school or cafe laptop. Its a really hard decision for anyone wanting to buy one now, nearly everyone wants a 15" and a 12" is kind of slow. If you opt for the 12" PB, you can save alot of bucks by going for the faster 900mhz ibook.

    If I REALLY needed to buy a laptop now i'd choose the orginal 15" PB, it can't be that bad its on the same speed as the 17" PB and alot more portable.

    Alot of people on these forums love telling people to get the most expensive thing possible so beware. Going with the 17" PB now can't go wrong but judging from what you want to do with it, it doesn't sound right.

    If you want speed and the aluminum design, then your just left with a 17" PB, this is of course if you can't wait.
     
  11. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 12, 2003
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #11
    If you need to purchase by June 10th, just go for it now. There really isn't much time between then n now and you won't see any differences.

    As for "will there be a 970 in them by august?" There are threads upon threads upon threads asking that same question, among when the 970 is arriving period. If you can hold off for a month or 2, you'll be able to see whats goin on in a month or two........ everyone has opinions, but they're just opinions

    Last but not least, 17 inches is beautiful, but it is BIG. I couldn't even imagine sitting in a desk in school. Go for what you like.
     
  12. Cabot thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #12
    I wish Apple released thier aluminum 15" tomorrow! Its a tough decision. A family member said that I could borrow thier iBook for the trip, but its not the same as taking your own portable with you. Do you think that it is likely it will be out in August?
    Also, someone said that the 17" "sizzles"? Does the processor get hot idling? (Sorry if its a stupid question, I've had Dell Inspirons and they don't sizle, when thier fans come on they shake rattle and roll-right off the desk)
     
  13. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

    hugemullens

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2002
    Location:
    Michigan
    #13
    I'd buy a 17 if the i had the money right now. I couldnt afford it but i jumped at the chance to get the 12. The 15 seems to be the sweetest one, and its performance is on par with the 17. So dont rule that out. As for updates coming, yes they are coming, but who knows when. If you keep waiting around for the next biggest thing, you'll be stuck with nothing. I've never been a big fan of waiting, if you want something, go get it!
     
  14. Cabot thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #14
    Hmm, you do have a point. I really hate waiting too. I waited a long time before I bought a Mac-but it was not fun waiting. I'll go to an Apple Store and see if they'll let me put the 17 on my lap and see how it "fits" me, or how I fit it. The weight isn't really a problem, I've been draging a 12 lb. Dell around for the past 6 years. I've read that the 17 is truley amazing. I need a truely amazing PB to compliment my truely amzing Cube! Thanks
    -Cabot
     

Share This Page