Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 7 vs iPhone 2017

• Total voters

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Lot of leaks suggest the 2017 iPhone will be named iPhone 8 instead of iPhone 7S because of the 10 year anniversary. But this would mean the iPhone 7 does not have major design change for 3 years now.

I have the iPhone 6, would you get the iPhone 7 or the iPhone of next year? Why.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's really up to you. The iPhone 7 is likely to have some great new features but if you're mostly concerned with the design the leaks suggest that it won't look very different from the 6 and 6s. If the 6 you have is still meeting your needs why not hold onto it for another year? If some of the new features excite you when the new iPhone is announced in September then upgrade. Again, it's up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I haven't heard of anything in Apple's coming phones that would make me want to upgrade from my iPhone 5. None of the expected updates, enhancements, etc. are compelling to me.

I'm not expecting anything compelling from Apple in regards to the iPhone in the next 3 to 5 years.

But, then again, I also don't suffer from addiction to the latest and greatest. I'm happy as long as it does what I need it to do.

So, I'd say if what you have is working for you, then keep using it until such time as it doesn't do what you need it to do.

As for which future phone to buy, decide that when you either need it, or something is so amazing that you can't resist it.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
It's so easy to get a phone every year these days that this shouldn't even be a dilemma anymore. Get the interest free financing from AT&T or one of the carriers, invest in a case if you're clumsy so you can keep the phone in pristine condition. Next year when the 2017 phone comes out, sell your current phone for the amount remaining on your financing plan and get the new phone. Rinse and repeat every year. just don't do it through the phone company because you get way more money on the secondary market. Unless you rather not deal with selling your phone to a stranger, then thats a different story.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why decide based on rumours, speculations, and supposed leaks? Make an informed decision on whether the 7 is worth it once Apple actually reveals it.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I'm waiting and watching like many.

If the next iPhone does not ✔️ my wants and needs boxes then there's plenty of other manufacturers of phones to choose from. ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have the SE currently and will be returning back to the 4.7 iPhone 7 when released. The screen resolution and overall screen size for the iPhone SE is the drawback for me. Plus, I actually really do appreciate 3-D touch and higher screen resolution. In my opinion, I feel the 4.7 inch iPhone is truly the iconic size for somebody that has medium size hands. Plus I also like the aesthetic appeal of the iPhone 6s/7 versus the iPhone SE. Looking forward to launch day.

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
Lot of leaks suggest the 2017 iPhone will be named iPhone 8 instead of iPhone 7S because of the 10 year anniversary. But this would mean the iPhone 7 does not have major design change for 3 years now.

I have the iPhone 6, would you get the iPhone 7 or the iPhone of next year? Why.

If your phone still works then wait till next year.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My current phone is the iPhone 6S Plus and it's been the best phone ever for me. Works great, looks great and I can happily plug in my favorite earbuds when I want some quality sound. So unless the 7 vacuums and dusts, I'll stay with my current one.

Reactions: Jetcat3

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
You should wait for the 2020 iPhone, i just saw a pic of the corner of the logo - its gonna be unreal!!!

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
waiting for Iphone 7s and problably SE 2 with an A11 chip, which will be much faster than A10

Zandery

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016
UK

I'd get the iPhone 7 but that's more to do with owning a Note5 that doesn't work properly and I can't enable WiFi calling which is a must have for me at the moment. For you though, I'd say that you wait if your 6 is still going strong and don't like the style leaks then just wait otherwise upgrade!

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.