Get use out of Old PC

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Spock, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I found this Linux called Slax http://slax.linux-live.org/ it's live so all You have to do is burn the ISO and put it in a old PC that has a CD-Rom it is really fun to use and is only 188 MB AND it has X-Window!! It is so small You can put the entire OS into RAM and is very fast.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You might also try Damn Small Linux (DSL), which is a Knoppix/Debian hybrid LiveCD ISO that is only 50 MB. It auto recognizes hardware and boots directly into X Windows. They even sell it preloaded in a bootable USB flash drive. W00t.

3. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

I like DSl But I think Slax is alot more stable then it is PLUS if You get the Beta Kill-Bill version it has wine built into it making it even cooler

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Personally, I like gentoo. The live cd is huge compared to most others, but you can do much more with it.

5. rand() macrumors regular

I love gentoo, but on an old PC, no. The pre-compiled packages aren't quite complete enough, and compiling any large package on something as slow as even a 350MHz just isn't play-with-it-now fun, unless you've got 10 of 'em running DistCC.

-rand()

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo