get your anger on! dem candidates speak out

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 9, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i caught some of the democratic candidate debate on PBS the other day. the general level of rhetoric was oh-so-refreshingly high for most of the time.

and there was a _lot_ of anger at bush and his policies. i liked it. these guys weren't afraid to speak their minds.

a few notes:

gephardt - i normally don't like him too much, but MAN did he go on a tear on bush. red-faced, shouting, valid points, true anger. i may have to reconsider my position on him.

lieberman - developed a dislike for him during the '00 election. find him too religious and w/ his right turn signal always on (i just made that up :). however, he is a smart guy and rebutted some things dean et. al. said w/ some intelligent and thoughtful arguments. even if i don't always agree w/ his politics, he gets it. i feel he knows what a good compromise is.

kerry - came off as articulate and knowledgeable. i liked some of the things he said.

kucinich - seemed uncomfortable but made some good points. at one point, came of as disingenuous by adopting language seemingly designed to appeal to younger voters.

dean - showed a good amount of anger. has passion in the right places, but some of the things he wanted to do didn't seem completely thought out. still, had a good rebuttal for lieberman after lieberman dismantled a couple things he said. came off as intelligent and genuine.

edwards - said some intelligent things

brawn - hardly said anything. not sure she was even part of the debate.

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-zimv20

The problem I have with Leiberman is stupid and not an issue in the States, but if elected, would becone a huge issue overseas - especially with the middle east. As a Jewish man, can you imagin the reaction the U.S. would get from the Arab countries? They'd consider the U.S. to be in the hip-pocket of Israel, regardless of reality.

It's a shame, I believe Leiberman would be an excellent president for the U.S. managment wise, but I fear the autoisolationizm that would occur.

Kerry has always been a good thinker.

However, I really wish that Biden would get involved, he'd be my choice, the man is amazing.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think he has a chance of winning the nomination. but i like him in the pack, 'cuz he's bringing up some valid issues.

i've always wondered why he wasn't more on the national scene. i think he had that trajectory, but then disappeared. am i recalling correctly that he had a bout w/ cancer?

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

So, you base your vote on who hates Bush the most... Good idea...

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nope, I'm basing mine on who would be best for the country. Our opinions differ on who would do that.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

No, but it is very refreshing to see the Democrats finally standing up and articulating their positions and how they are different from Bush.

For a while right after 9/11 and even before that, Dems seemed like Republicans and Republicans seemed like Dems.

It's nice to have two 'different' parties again.

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I can't argue that both major parties are extremely 'different'

The only thing is that, they don't do much for their people anymore... Republicans are focused on international problems, and have some domestic issues that need attention.

Democrats, on the other hand, (especially in California) tax and spend like crazy, as well as other things...

The focus is no longer on constituents, but on politics, which at the rate things are going, are going to hurt people more than they help them... I think California is an example of this... I just hope something changes soon.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Here's something you might want to read before blaming all of California's woes on tax-and-spend Democrats.
    Not to mention that the federal government has gotten larger under Bush, and that it shrunk under Clinton.

I completely agree with you here, neither party is deserving of much respect IMHO. They are more concerned with humiliating and driving the opposition party from power than they are about making this country better no matter whether it gets them elected next time or not.:(

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As to Biden, I think you're right about the bout with cancer, but the last time he ran for President it was cut short because he got caught plagiarizing Neil Kinnock's speeches. At least they were good speeches.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

maybe the problem w/ the country is too many people hear only the rhetoric and never bother to change their minds once contrasting evidence is presented.

11. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

For now, Dean's my man. He's the only who I completely agree with (Well, not completely, but enough) and I'll stick with him, unless.......

I've been seeing a lot of General Wesley Clark lately, and have been nothing but impressed. Here's a man that could undoubtedly beat Bush, with international renown and respect, and plenty of experience with government (not elected experience, but experience nonetheless.) If he announces his candidacy, well, then "So long, Dean. Maybe you can be VP. Hel-looooo Clark!"

Some websites for General (Haha! no pun intended) consumption:

http://www.draftclark2004.com
    http://www.digitalclark.com
    http://www.geocities.com/trebor_92627/Bush.htm

Enjoy!

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Yes, but who in this country in their right mind would believe contrasting evidence if it went against their political views?

13. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the open-minded

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm willing to listen.

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-G4scott

I'm always willing to listen - never dismissing out of hand. If you bring a good point with facts that I can verify, you just migh gain me as a believer too.