Getting 2-3 mounted cd's and i only have 1 cd tray?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Well i have a G5 PowerMac and i am using a cd-rw fro transfering files from my friends laptop to my desktop so after getting the files i need i erased the cd-rw and when i am done it go 2 mounted cd's.

Same thing happens when i put a cd in the cd tray and from the menu pick Toast as the Application i want to use and just before i start burnning the same menu comes up so i just click on toast and burn, while toast is burnning the cd mounted again.

This is not a huge problem i just eject the new mounted cd after i am done and the cd tray comes out so i have to close the tray again and eject the 2nd cd so the tray opens up again and i have to close it for the 2nd time just to get 1 cd.

Any ideas guys?

2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I dont quite understand what you are asking, but it sounds like your saying that the CD "mounts" as the disc is being burned.

hmm, when you put a blank disc in your mac, a box comes up asking you what you want to do with it. I always just hit "Ignore" and I havnt had any problems. So when you put a new disc in, hit "Ignore" and nothing should mount.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

My iBook does the same thing when I use Toast, but I thought it just had to do with the fact that I usually use a FireWire burner, so there actually are two drives. I think it happens because it is reading a CD-RW in the drive, but Toast and the Finder recognize it as just a CD-R. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Daniel

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Dude... punctuation. What on earth are you talking about? 2 CDs in one tray?

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

No, no, no, I know exactly what he is talking about. When he puts a CD-RW in the drive, it comes up on the desktop with the CD-RW label on it. However, when he erases the CD-RW, he still has the CD-RW icon on the desktop, but he also gets a blank CD-R icon with it. This happens because the drive recongizes it as a CD-RW, but the Finder and Toast just recognize it as a blank cd. Therefore, the CD-RW icon shows up because of the drive, and the CD-R shows up because of the software. I know it's a little confusing, but do you get what I'm saying? It will do the same thing on any Mac, I imagine. Try putting a CD-RW in the drive and erasing it. See what happens.

Daniel

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My PowerBook gave me one blank CD. :rolleyes:

Could it have to do with differing partitions on the disc? Like a game CD, where the music is on one part and the data on another?

Or, the Finder mounts the disk, and then Toast does funky stuff with it so although the Finder still has it mounted, it is remounted under a different name. Maybe?

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It's definitely not different partitions. I think you're pretty close with your second analogy, though the Finder has done the same thing as Toast on mine. It happens after Disk Utility erases the disk, when it asks, "You have inserted a blank CD, yatta yatta yatta," and I usually hit "Open Finder." I also get this message when I select the burner that I want to use. I always thought it was because I have two drives and I usually select my external burner. Either way, it's really no big deal. It's just a little annoyance, like I said before.

Daniel

8. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I've actually had the same thing happen to me when burning a CD on my iBook in the finder. The blank CD initially shows up as one CD, but then when I burn and actually eject it, there are two "copies" of the blank CD still sitting on my desktop. They show up in the sidebar, and everything, and to get rid of them, I have to eject 'em. Weird :rolleyes:

9. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Why not just use an Ethernet cable? You can even use a regular patch cable. Macs have an ethernet port that will cross the signal over when needed so no crossover cable is needed.

You could use a FireWire cable and either boot into target disk mode, or use IP over FireWire.

These are much better and faster options that using a CDRW disc.