Getting a 360! What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Games' started by achie25, Oct 20, 2006.

1. achie25 macrumors 6502

Ok I have been trying to hold out long enough. I wanted to get a PS3 instead but I really don't think that realistically I would be able to get my hands on one until well after the new year. Plus the majority of the games will be on both systems and I really want to play Oblivion so I guess my decision is made for me!

I am buying a brand new permium system from one of my friends who got an extra that he was going to give away as a promotion for his business. It doesn't come with a game and only the one controller. So I need to know what else I need?

I will be playing on my 55" Sony HDTV. So do I need to get a different cable than the one that comes with it? Like the VGA cable? I also know that I will need a couple of other controllers and my biggest question is about he plug in play recharger vs the double charger? And do i need the intercooler thing or not? I have a wireless connection in my house and the 360 will be close to my airport express. Can i connect directly into the bottom of that or do I need to get the airport extreme? My router doesn't have another port on it so I can't go directly into that.

As far as games ar e concerned I am planning on taking advantage of the Toys R us deal this weekend buy 2 get one free. So I am going to get Oblivion, TW 07, and Double Agent.

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Play and charge kit is essential.
    Yes, you will need either the wireless adapter for the 360 or an open ethernet port.
    Get XBL. Honestly, the console is pretty much useless without it.
    The Pro 360 bundle comes with component cables, so no worries there.

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Agreement with all of that......
    plus get Connect360 for the Mac (software that lets your Xbox 360 see your Mac and it's iTunes/iPhoto libraries).

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Wait, I thought the Premium (That is what you're getting, isn't it) came with built-in wireless. So you wouldn't need to buy a wireless adapter. Unless I'm missing something...

5. achie25 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a premium. So it has a built in wireless? I thought you had to buy the wireless adapter and put it on the back of the 360.

XBL was a given I just didn't add that. So I will look into the plug and play. So that is better than the Quick Charge Kit? Makes sense due tot he fact that you can play it while it charges.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    No, there is no wifi with any unit of the 360. You have to buy a 100 dollar add on. This was part of my huge argument of why the PS3 was effectively priced.

100 bucks for a wifi add on is ridiculous. Though you may be able to find one on ebay for cheaper.

7. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Or get the gaming adapters from netgear, blekin, or other company and its cheaper

8. achie25 thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the intercooler to help with the heat? Anyone use it? I don't plan on worrying about that right now.

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

360 bliss for me is:

[​IMG]

+
    [​IMG]

+
    [​IMG]

Now I only need to lay my hands on a 360 compatible wireless keyboard for the full wireless experience. Any suggestions? I Need the keyboard to do the dances and other character animations ^_^. I have played over 700 hours on the previous version on the Gamecube.

I'm going to lose hundreds of hours of my life to this combination.

Huh? I don't have xbl and I'm enjoying myself aplenty :) Plus, I only need the free silver subscription to play Phantasy Star Universe. Yippie! (Of course, Sonic Team will still want me to pay them the $10 monthly subscription but at least I don't have to pay Microsoft their share in addition)

I have a first gen 360 and I didn't have heat problems so far. Mine sits by itsellf on a glass shelf in my audio/video tower. I'm more annoyed about the noise but I can live with that.

10. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Maybe it's just me, but I feel the opposite. I bought all wireless controllers because I never wanted to deal with wires again, not even to charge.

I have 4 controllers, I bought a charger that came with 4 rechargeable batteries for $20, then I bought 8 more rechargeable batteries for $15. Now I have plenty of batteries if one controller even runs out, just have in pop in a fresh set and charge the others without using any cables. And I think it is cheaper to go my route then to buy the 360 battery packs because I have two extra sets of batteries.

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

My bad. :eek:

12. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I like this one very much:

Link

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I thought about that. But I figured: $30 for that, with only 1 battery back. Then, lets sat $10 a battery pack, so I would spend another $30 for 3 more packs to fill up my 4 controllers. Now I am over $60 easily, and I would only have just enough battery packs to run the controllers. If one runs out while all 4 are being used (quite often at my place we have 4 people) someone would either need to get some AA batteries or I would have to buy the play and charge cable for another $10. So my inital investment of $35 for 12 rechargeable AA batteries and a charger seemed pretty good to me and I never worry if a controller dies. That was my logic.

14. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

http://www.samsclub.com
    has a pretty good package - I would not get the one w/ a free game because i think they give you COD2 and I am not fond of it

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

16. achie25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I got it hooked up and running. I gotta say I like the wireless adapter. Even though it was $100 it works nice.

I went with the quickcharger and skipped the pulg in play charger because I want ot be wireless.

I really like the 360. Nice how you can power on/off from the controller and the Xboxlive is really nice so far. I am playing Obliivon right now so I haven't tried to play anything online yet. I also really like how you can download the trial games to check them out. Nice touch coming from M$.

So far I am very pleased. Looking forward to getting onlinne in Double Agent.

17. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Do the new revisions of the 360 still make horrible noise?

All my friends who have them say it sounds like an airplane in the room, and I agree.

Are they near silent yet?

18. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Congratulations. I've also been playing Oblivion (at a snails pace b/c I'm also playing NBA 2k7 and Tiger Woods 2007). Definitely download the demos. Any time I only have a short time to play I'll load up a demo and play one of those games :)

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

People say this, but mine is near-silent - makes almost as little noise as the Cube. I think it's the same as the "they suck, I'm on my 8th". What the hell are you doing wrong?! Running it next to a big-ass stack of radiators?

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

dude mine sounds like a leaf blower...ok maybe not THAT loud, but you can hear it from the next room when I am playing a game....it blows :(

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hmm... it's either that you're all doing summat wrong, or my house is super-cooled... Or maybe I got the only quiet one that year... :confused:

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You certainly did. I had two 360's on launch day and both are noisy enough (I drown out the sound with 5.1 anyway so it doesnt bother me - but they are definetly noisy)

23. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Mine is whisper quiet when using dashboard or any demos/arcade games or hard drive/network stored media. But when a game disk or DVD is being used it is loud.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's my experience. When it's on the dash it or accessing live arcade games it's as loud as an xbox. When accessing a disc it get really LOUD... so maybe it's the drive more than the 360 ?

25. slick316 macrumors 6502

Its definately the DVD-ROM drive. I had this issue since day one, its about the only thing that bugs me about the 360 (I have a launch system BTW that has no issues with overheating or graphics artifacts, etc.).
    What I noticed, in my case, when the unit is upright (standing up), its louder. So I have mine laying flat. Also noticed that it vibrates when the drive is spinning, so if its on a surface thats not stable (like one of those stands that have shelves made of glass), its going to be worse. I put mine in a cabinet stand (Salamander Designs), now its only noticeable when there is low to no volume, when a game is running, I can't hear it.

Also, did you get a second remote? Games are much better with friends :)