Getting a big file across on floppies

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Nermal, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've got an old 68030 that's only got a floppy drive, and I've got a file that's about 8 megs that I need to get on to it. How can I span a file across multiple floppies in order to achieve this? The 030's running 7.5.5 and has StuffIt Expander, and I've got 9.2.2 and 10.2.6, and whatever compression tools come with a standard install. I've also got a PC with WinZip, WinImage, etc.

Anyone know what to do?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

does the computer have internet access? you could network the computer and file share it. if you can't network it, some email services will allow more than 8 megs of data.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think you may need stuffit deluxe to do this... but within stuffit, you choose "segment". then you select the file and the size of each segment.

not sure if there's a way to do this without deluxe...

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's another program called split and concat, freeware. I haven't used it like that but it might well work.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, no it doesn't have network or internet access.

I'll take a look at StuffIt and see what I can do. If I can't find anything then I'll try split and concat. Could be a while before I try it though, cause I just turned it on, and it's apparently got no hard drive! Gonna unplug and replug the HD and see if that works.