Getting a Cell Phone (Finally)

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5Unit, Sep 4, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I am getting a cell phone on labor day and I was wondering which on I should get. I am adding onto my families plan with Cingular. I live in San Clemente. I want to get a phone that's either free or like 20 bucks. Should I get the Moto Razor of Amazon for free? Can I add onto my families plan doing that? Also, would it be stolen?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You probably can't get the free Razr deal, since it usually requires that you sign up for NEW service (which you're not doing, since you're adding yourself onto your family's plan).

Cellphone theft is very rare nowadays, since phones have SIM cards and ESNs and can't just be reused... if your phone goes missing or is stolen and you tell the cellphone company, they'll just lock out that phone, preventing it from ever working again. (The best way to not let your cellphone to be stolen, BTW, is not to do stupid crap like leaving it sitting on a bar... can't tell you how many times I've seen people do this.)

3. Jopling macrumors 6502

Motorola is announcing new phones on the 7th, why don't you wait 2 extra days, thats what I am doing. I've had a SE t637 for a while and a SE t610 before that. I had to pay about 75-120 for each one after rebates, they might be pretty cheap now though. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Sony Ericsson s710a, but I am holding out for the new motorolas if they work well with my mac.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i had the t637 (dont know if cingular has that) but i traded it with my brother's motorola v220 (swapped sim cards) and i like it a lot better. i believe the v220 is free some weeks, $20ish some others :rolleyes:

5. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I'm waiting for the Sept 7 announcement although I'm not confident I will like what I see. I don't like Moto UI.

I currently have a Sony Ericsson T610 which has been a great phone that works seamlessly with my PB. I have been looking at the W800i or the K750i as my next phone.

6. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

My Cingular dealer said that adding to a family plan entitled one to all deals that establishing new service allowed. Don't know if this applies to the Amazon deal, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

7. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well my dad works for a company that makes companies in trouble get out of it. And he just happens to be working with motorola and the iTunes phone will be introduced this wendesday. He said that only that phone and maybe another really exensive phone will come out and that's it. It is really top secret on what the big craze is. Because we all know that an itunes phone is nothing compared to an ipod. He asked someone at work and he said it was top secret and only a few people know what will really happen.

8. Jopling macrumors 6502

Hahaha, sounds promising, but I don't think they could throw that much into it to make it something new and innovating compared to other phones, unless it could play h.264, AAC, and somehow access your computer when within range.

EDIT: By access I mean connect to your iTunes, iPhoto libraries.

9. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

NVM. I just got a nokia 3120 and it's awsome. Best deal I could find. Thanks to everyone who helped!