Getting A DVD onto my Video iPod

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bobber205, Jun 18, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I know there's quite a few apps out there for putting dvds on your ipod... but what do you guys, mac savvy users, actually use?

Side note: Our phone cables in our new oregon house are not working correctly. The internet guy is coming tomorrow. But I am getting a 200K or so connection from a motorola? network! Whee!

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

umm handbrake here. There are a few threads on this already but anyways Handbrake it what I use...

3. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Ditto.... works very well with great quality and pretty fast on the new macs....

4. MacSawdust macrumors member

5. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

If you have a little cash to spend, try Popcorn 2, it is easier than handbrake, and does everything for you, and it works every time, unlike handbrake.

Edit: I think you still need to use mac the ripper to get rid of the encryption.

6. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I use it as well and it is well worth the download and by far the quickest method.

7. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

What should I use to convert avi files to my ipod?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

iLounge has a pretty good article on it here

that's a downside of the iPod that it doesn't play .avi's itself, (sorry it's really irritating and means i normally use my iMac to watch .avi's not my iPod which is a lot smaller...)

9. flahiker macrumors member

What about a PC?

My boss just got a video iPod, but only has a PC. Any ideas on how to convert DVDs to an appropriate format on a PC?

10. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Handbrake is free, Popcorn is not. Thus, you need to give handbrake some leeway. It works the majority of the time for me anyways.

11. tehybrid macrumors member

handbrake is free and open source, but requires a little bit of knowledge to use, instant handbrake is completely newbie friendly and if you wish to use pre-existing videos on your ipod use isquint at http://isquint.org

12. Lebowski macrumors 6502

i use handbrake only, not mac the ripper. and i have ripped over 50 dvds so far, no issues with any of them. only thing you need to remember is to resize the video to 640 wide to fit the ipod.

super easy.