Getting a job with Apple for next summer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by johnbro23, Aug 26, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning ahead, and I'm going to be a senior this year, and I'd like to get a job at the Apple Store in Shadyside (Pittsburgh) for next summer before I go off to college.

Has anyone here applied to work at an Apple Store? Have you been successful in getting a job? I asked the guy that gave me the application if its hard to get a job there, and he said yea, that they get a ton of applications.

I just turned 18 this month. Do you think being 18 will hurt my chances of getting a job?

I worked at a Mac based architecture firm this summer, so I have real world experience with Vectorworks, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat. I've had a Mac for over a year, but I know more about Macs than many long time users. I log onto MacRumors and SpyMac multiple times a day. I own 100 shares of AAPL.

Am I well qualified?

What position would be best for me? Just plain old floor salesman?

Any tips? Anything else I can do other than turn in an application?

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I think you should go back to that architecture firm (if that's what your interested in). The Apple Store is just retail. Most likely, you'll be given a sales position, which i would say, isn't that great of a job.

3. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I'd refrain from mentioning that in your application if I were you ;)

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, definitely refrain from mentioning the Spymac part ;).

scem0

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"I work for Spymac, MacRumors, and AppleInsider" are NOT the things you should be talking about in your qualifications.

I think you can apply, but please don't expect to get it. Treat it like the lottery......you can play, but don't expect to win. Honestly. Anyway, it's just retail. Sure, the products are all very very cool, but at the end of the day, it's really another retail job, so don't get too worked up over it.

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i wouldn't mention that i'm a Mac website and forum addict. i doubt they want you spending your time in the store browsing web sites. ;)

and yeah, i'd try to get an architecture releated job, if that's what you'd looking to get into.

nothing wrong with working in an apple store, i would for sure, but it is just a retail job. or i suppose a techy job if you're not a salesperson...

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah, been there, done that. I actually quit apple because they wouldn't help me get to a tech spot. They tried shoving me in the back of house area because I was awesome at everything there. I met some really great people (and a LOT of hot girls), and even some famous people. But it jsut wasn't enough for me.

They press you to shove applecare and .mac down everyone's throat on a sale.

Do what the others say: stick with the firm.

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well at the last minute, after multiple interviews, I was told that they just can't accept high school students.

Who knows, your mileage may vary.

irmongoose

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I applied at the NYC store a year or so ago while "In between jobs" and was rejected for being "over qualified":confused:
    I think that translates to, "we know you will quit as soon as you get your real job".;)

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I work at an Apple Authorized Reseller and Apple Authorized Service Center. I got the job in the summer of my Junior year and I am still work for the company, although not at the moment while I am at college. I had little tech experience, and mostly basic knowledge about the Apple product line. I have been working at the store for three years and I have really come a long way. The nice thing about and independent store is that my owner was not afraid to let me tinker with things.

I now handle sales, service, and ordering for the store. I work under a master Apple technician who has taught me a lot of tricks of the trade. I can completely service the iMac G3, any part that breaks I can fix. He also taught me to service Powermac G4's and iMac G5s. I answer phones and go onsite to help people set up new machines. It has been a great job, the pay is so-so but I don't mind. I have learned so much about sales and service it has more then made up for the so-so pay.

Try and find a Mom and Pop Apple store in your area, you will learn a lot more there.

Although part of me does want to work for Apple retail just to get the experience, hopefully I will have some luck with the Apple Store in the Carousel Mall.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

dude, go for a CAREER. you dont hear about Apple store employees making it big. How much can they possibly make? $10 a hour? $15 for the manager?