Getting a Mac to recognize external harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imbored, Feb 25, 2006.

1. imbored macrumors member

I need help. I have a 100gb Barracuda Internal ATA HD, enclosed in an Airlink 101 enclosure, hooked up to my ibook through a USB 2.0 cable. Anyway, I've turned the drive on, but have no clue how to enable the mac to detect the drive. It currently isn't shown up.

And yes, both the drive and enclosure are compatible with macs. Anyone know how to get the mac to recognize the drive?

2. CamH macrumors member

Shouldn't it just show up as a removable disk?

3. imbored thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't show up and the driver disc that game with it is a mini-disc and I am pretty sure my ibook can't read mini-discs.

4. imbored thread starter macrumors member

I've got aenu35, not 55. Anyway, something's even more weird; I was looking at my USB ports in system profiler, and it recognizes that I'm attached to an IDE drive. I still don't know why it won't recognize it. I was thinking maybe I needed to take out the jumper and make it the slave drive, but don't want to take it apart if I don't have to.

5. blackstone macrumors regular

Have you tried launching Disk Utility and using it to reformat the drive?

6. CamH macrumors member

7. imbored thread starter macrumors member

Disc utility only recognizes my hard drive in my computer, not the external one.

8. imbored thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I actually got my dad to use his computer to transfer the driver onto a usb key and use that to open the driver. However, I get this message now, "The Installer package GeneIOUSBIDE110 cannot be opened. The Bill of Materials for this package was not found."

I'm going to try the airlink support now, but still if anyone here can help, please do.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I had a problem like this once, it was a bad enclosure. Not sure if this applies to you though.

10. imbored thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I set the drive to a master drive and it now detects it. Anyone want to help with another mac-related problem.

For some reason, I can't visit various websites. I can go to the majority of them, but for some reason apple.com and debian.org and seagate.com aren't working. I tried seagate on my dads computer and it was working fine. Related to this, I can't run software update. It says, "Software update can't connect to the update server. Please connect to the internet and try again." Any help?

11. CamH macrumors member

Check your hosts file for something weird. It's located at /etc/hosts

If it says something like 127.0.0.1 apple.com then that could explain why you can't get there.

12. imbored thread starter macrumors member

How to I check the hosts? Would it be easier to move all my files to my new harddrive and reinstall the Mac OS software? My computer's been acting funny in general over the past month.

13. CamH macrumors member

You can do it by opening up your terminal and typing cat /etc/hosts

If everything is good it should look something like this:
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost

14. budskrag macrumors newbie

Getting my MAc to recognize a Cosmos External 250GB HD. (disk drive issue?)

I just bought an external HD made by Hitachi (supposedly), under the brand Cosmos. It's a 250 BD drive and I'm unable to read it. I have an IMAC G5 running Mac OS X. Can anyone help me. Thanks Much.