Getting a MBP (maybe)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Krionis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Krionis macrumors newbie

Jun 15, 2006
    I just have few question about the Macbook Pro.

I want to play games, so im getting rid of my macbook and probably getting an MBP.

1. Does it get significantly hotter than the Macbook?
    2. Are there any major issues with the MBP that I should know about
    3. It can play games pretty well, right?
    4. You may not be able to answer this, but am I going to be dissapointed?

The MBP in question is the lowest end one which im going to give a 512 stick from my macbook which currently has a gig(to make it a gig in the mbp)

Thank you.
  2. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    1)Don't know
    2)Don't know haven't got mine yes
    3)Definitely can play games pretty well
    4)I can't answer this (haven't got mine yet but I doubt you will be disappointed) I'm getting the low end MBP too.

However I would reccomend you getting at least a 1gb stick to go with your 512 if you intend on playing games if not 2 1gb sticks
  3. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    I've been doing a lot of research on this, as I've been looking to buy my own MBP. From what I understand, the MBP (at least the 15'') is not too great at gaming out of the box. But if you software overclock the GPU(which is shipped underclocked by Apple), things run a lot better, although some people have reported problems when clocking it too high.

Most titles seem to work well, especially under Boot Camp. And most importantly, Starcraft still works.
  4. Krionis thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 15, 2006
    much better gaming than macbook out of the box I hope.

I also wanted to know how the speakers were, anyone who has the MB can tell you theyre incredibly weak.
  5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Definitely better than MB the graphics for sure I think the MBP has decent speakers
  6. rglatter macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2006
    1. No idea as compared to the macbook but their are parts on my MBP such as the strip of metal between the top of the keyboard and the hinge for the screen that are extreemly hot to the touch, and sometimes the bottom is too hot to rest on your lap(i dont recomend on your lap at all use some sort of plastic or somthing between you and the computer)
    2. I got the 2nd week build date on my MBP and I have had no serious issues. I have had the whine but it dosent happen all the time as well as the moo which I have not heard in about a month.
    3. I use this for games at least on the PC side using bootcamp and they run great. they run faster than my PC which is a 2.53 GHz with 1 gig of ram and a 256 mb video card. On the OSX side I have played very few games but I have played WoW and it runs great.
    4. I cant answer this for you but for me I have not been the disapointed at all. It is a great computer and my first mac and im not planning on going back to PC ever.

All that being said with my MBP I have a few recomendations. Get 2 gigs of ram. Rosetta is a ram hog and windows likes the 2 gigs better too. I would also recomend backing up your hard drive. I have an external 320 Gig Western digital partitioned into a 100 gig and 220 gig hds. To back up I use superduper which is well worth the 25 bucks (i think) it costs. I once had to reformat cause i screwed up bootcamp and I was back up and running within half an hour of reformating just like it was before the bootcamp issue. I think if you purchase the MBP you will love it :)

EDIT: the speakers...they are not the best but they are decent. I primarly use them to listen to podcasts when im on the road in a hotel room and they work ok for that. For listning to music there is no bass, at all but other than that they are decent.
  7. Krionis thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 15, 2006

Thanks everyone, after looking at various MBP benchmarks and reading things you guys have said im pretty convinced.

EDIT: oh and does anyone know whether the glossy screen is pretty or the non glossy?
  8. quruli macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2006
  9. Krionis thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 15, 2006
    I know i probably should wait til paris but my brother needs my macbook next week so thats almost out of the question. Merom isn't Thaaaat important to me althought it may be 64-bit.
  10. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    Well, you did say you wanted to play games, and when they put Merom in the MBP, its almost guarenteed to have a decent GPU upgrade...probably an ATI X1800 Mobility or nVidia's equivalent.