Getting a Mini and I need accessory advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GreyFox1221, Apr 23, 2005.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

I want to do video capture so in time I will get an external VCC and and External HD. I am a new mac user. Also by that time will it come standard with Tiger?

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It will ship with Tiger come next week.

I'm not sure what you mean by a VCC, but if that is a TV tuner or similar, Elgato is making a version of the ATI TV Wonder called EyeTV Wonder. Elgato also makes other tuners for digital TV and such, but their site is inaccessible to me right now :confused:

For an external hard drive, you might find this matching combined external hard drive, USB hub and Firewire hub interesting.

3. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

OK, then the EyeTV wonder is what you want, right?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Or are you talking about converting high-quality analog video from a motion camera to video? Or camcorder stuff? Might eventually be cheaper and less painful to get a FW camcorder if it's the last one.

BTW, is it an issue to use FW both to pull digital video off a camera and push it onto a hard drive at the same time, particularly when you only have one FW bus?

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

According to another thread it seems like it could cause quality issues.

7. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

I want to capture from my Xbox. Ironic I know.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Doesn't the XBox do DVI? Is there an easier / less lossy way to capture DVI?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

10. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

11. d.perel macrumors regular

d.perel

although this is against the premise of this whole post forum, I would suggest getting a g5 because it is way more apt at video editing. Also, I have a very good AlchemyTV capture card. It has a cable tuner, S-video in and yellow component + audio in cables. Unfortunately, I don't think that would work with the mac mini! Other than that, I would go with the EyeTV also, if you get the mini. Also, maybe u should wait until when everyone has been hoping for possible multi -core versions of apple processors to come out (Wasn't it rumored for some time in april/may?)