Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hey people,

Some of you may have followed my thread a couple of months ago [Car Woes. Well, I haven't had much much more going wrong with my car... except the handbreak - sometimes when I release it, the car acts as if the handbreak is still on and I can't drive away and the car has seized with the handbreaks on. I have took it to the garage about three times with this same problem and the last time they told me they finally fixed it (they told me they disabled some automatic thing) however it happened again. It involves me hitting the side of the wheel with a hammer to unlock the car!

Anyway - after 4 months, I am selling it and I am getting a 53 plate Renault Clio (three door). It's three and a half years newer than my current car and it has a slightly faster engine. The Clio is a 53 plate however was first registered in January 2004 - it is still under the Renault Warranty until January 2007. I took it for a test drive and it drives excellently. It is so smooth. The car has done 19,000 miles and I'm buying it from Parks Renault. The colour is pearl black. It has alloy wheels (which have some scuffs along them however they dealer said they would sand them and repaint them). The car is £4995 and I'm getting approx. £200 off it, so £4795. My Dad is going to pay it cash and I'm going to sell my Vauxhall Corsa privately. I'm hoping to get £1500 for it, which would mean I owe my Dad £3300 - which I am going to pay back to him over three years, interest free.

The car goes through an MOT before I get it and checked through. Tomorrow I am going to put a deposit on it, would it be OK to ask the guy if I can test drive it on some dual carridgeway to see what it's like at fast speeds?

What are your opinions on the Clios? Yes - I am going to be out a couple of hundred of pounds because my Corsa had a lot wrong with it, but I hate it and I get no joy driving it. Hopefully this is the start of something new!

I have included a picture of what the car looks like. When I drove the car my legs seemed a bit cramped (I have long legs) the model is the Authentique. Today I sat in an '54 plate Clio Dimonique which seemed to have more room. Is this simply a case of me not moving the seat all the way back (even though I thought it was) or does these different models offer more leg room?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Oh dear. The Clio is statistically more unreliable than the Corsa. Renault build quality is notoriously iffy. A base spec car with fat aftermarket alloys like that says to me it's had its tits ragged off by a 17 year old boy.

I feel for you - I don't want you to be in debt saddled with another unreliable car. The good thing is that it seems OK priced from a Renault dealer (although values on the Clio have dropped since the new model came out recently) and has some warranty left to run. You haven't stated its mileage though which affects its value.

If you want a cheap reliable car your best bet is something Japanese. Toyota Yaris etc. Alternatively there are some stunning deals on brand new small cars at the moment - Fiat Pandas, VW Foxes, Toyota Aygos etc.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hey, the milage of the car is 19000 and has only had one owner. It goes through a service and MOT before I get it.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I prefer those to Corsa's. ;)

Though... I'd be inclined to haggle with the dealer, and get them to fit a set of the standard Renault Sport alloys instead. ;)

Hope this motor works out for you though fella. ;)

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
iGav thank you. Could you perhaps answer this:

The car is not due an MOT until January 2007 as it is under 3 years old (cars under 3 years old do not require an MOT) however I said to the guy I would like a years MOT and he said that they legally cannot MOT it because it isn't due until 2007. Is this true? Can it be MOT'd for a year even though it's 2.5 years old?

What do you think?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
he said that they legally cannot MOT it because it isn't due until 2007. Is this true? Can it be MOT'd for a year even though it's 2.5 years old?

What do you think?

He's correct, cars under 3 years old are exempt from requiring an MOT certificate, so you simply don't need one.

It's a new(ish) car, and as it's a main dealer, and the cars still under the manufacturers warranty I very much doubt that you'll have an major issues, especially as it's only covered 19000 miles... they should also carry out a comprehensive pre-sale report that will highlight any issues with the car that should be made available for you inspect before you buy, if not.. ask them to do this, if they decline... get the AA in to independently check it for you.

If it were me... I'd have haggled to get them to throw in a couple of free services too. ;)

One thing I am certain of though, is that you'll have far more fun in the Clio than you'd ever have in the Corsa. ;)

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Three years old, 19,000 miles, manufacturers warranty and an interest free loan. Looks like a bargain to me :)

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hey iGav thank you for your help.

The car is under manufacturers warranty until January 2007 - after this date a 1 year warranty provided by the dealer kicks in.

It was an official Renault Dealer (Parks Pathway).

The car got serviced after I test drove it and it also got new tyres fitted. It is also getting valetted for me getting it.

Does everyone think this is a good deal? I had to pay for tax!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
The car is under manufacturers warranty until January 2007 - after this date a 1 year warranty provided by the dealer kicks in.

That extra year is a dandy bonus, just make sure you book your MOT in January 2007. ;)

FearFactor47 said:
and it also got new tyres fitted.

Sounds like you're picking up the art of haggling... nice work. ;)

FearFactor47 said:
Does everyone think this is a good deal? I had to pay for tax!

I honestly don't know what prices Clio's go for, but it sounds about right, maybe slightly higher than if you went private, though after the problems you've had with your Corsa, the extra piece of mind with it being from a Renault Dealer is worth the extra IMHO.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Well I didn't ask for the tyres to get replaced, so that's weird. It must've needed them.

Will I notice that it is more powerful than my Corsa? I'm usually in my own car myself but when I test drove the guy was in the car with me = more weight. I also couldn't go above 30. It would have been nice to take it onto the dual carridgeway to see how it responded.

The alloys are badly scraped etc on one side. They said though that a guy comes in 'Chips Away' and steam cleans, sands and paints them all nice.

I will post pictures when I get the car, in this thread!

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
FearFactor47 said:
Will I notice that it is more powerful than my Corsa? I'm usually in my own car myself but when I test drove the guy was in the car with me = more weight. I also couldn't go above 30. It would have been nice to take it onto the dual carridgeway to see how it responded.

Its important to drive any prospective car in conditions similar to what you'll be driving daily. This includes the carriageway (sp?). Make sure you get a good, varied test drive before buying....sometimes issues don't show up until you get it to higher speeds (alignment, bearings, etc). Make sure the things you would normally take for granted all work properly (emergency brake, heater, air conditioning, windshield wipers, etc).

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Nice Clio!

I wish they sold them in the states. I'd dump the wheels for a lightweight set from a Cup or 187 but I don't know how much they would run you.

Those just look heavy (and ugly IMHO) and small engines hatch's never deal with heavy wheels well.

Still, congrats!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
1.2, my Corsa was a 1.0 L

If it's an 8v, then it's a couple of seconds quicker to 60 than the Corsa (14 vs 16), if it's a 16v then it's about 4 seconds quicker (12 secs).

Similar top speeds for the two... 98mph for the Clio and 96mph for the Corsa. Though if it's the 16v it'll do 106mph.

The Clio's main advantages lay in that it's over 100kg's lighter, and has a peach of a chassis... and Renault (unlike Vauxdull) do happen to know how to make their cars handle. ;) A sorted chassis is far more important than power if you ask me... especially for new drivers like yourself. ;)

P.S. make sure them alloys have a locking nut on each wheel. ;)

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
My Corsa is a 1.0L 12V, the Clio is a 1.2L 16V.

My Corsa has great difficulty getting to 100mph! I have only managed to get to that speed once, and I think I was going down hill. Don't tell anyone! Lol.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
A 100KG is a lot! I noticed the sides are made of a type of plastic?

What does all this valve stuff mean? When I first got my car, I thought it meant 12 volts lol.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
A 100KG is a lot!

It is indeed... accelerating, braking, turning... it all adds up. ;)

FearFactor47 said:
What does all this valve stuff mean? When I first got my car, I thought it meant 12 volts lol.

In your case... more valves = More fun.

That's all you need to know. ;)

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Oh I'm not a boy racer! But I do like to go fast infact I think the speed I go at is linked to the type of music I'm listening to...Katie Melua = slow..Muse = fast. :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
But I do like to go fast

Can you say Track Day ;)

Seriously though, if you have access to a racing circuit, or even an abandoned airstrip, make use of it... track days are invaluable because you'll get tuition from professional drivers that'll teach you about high speed dynamics.

Airstrips are great fun just for unleashing speed in a relatively safe environment (e.g. you'd be hard pushed to hit anything).

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I've never heard of a track day before lol. So you just take your own car onto the track and they teach you cool stuff? That sounds fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.