Getting a new hard drive

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Jan 23, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

After dealing with weird clicking/chirping noises comming from my powerbook for a few months. I decided to get it checked out. They guy at the store told me he ran a bunch of hardware tests on it and couldn't find anything wrong. The symptoms of the computer were besides the noises, lag here and there (taking a while for some apps to open and screen to turn on and off). So he said he would give me a new hard drive since it's still under warranty. My question is, is there anything i can do to get ALL of my files/settings backed up to another computer before he replaces the hard drive. I don't want to pay to have it done because he charges $95 an hour to do that.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I suppose there are a number of ways...and I would strongly advise coming up with a decent *regular* backup strategy for those files/settings that are important to you. You could get an external drive and clone your whole system to that. You could simply burn the stuff you need to cdr/cdrw. You could use some network storage space somewhere....there's a few just off the top of my head.....oh yeah!

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Use this opportunity to buy yourself a new Firewire external (think of already having $95 put toward it...) and use Carbon Copy Cloner to back your whole kit-'n-caboodle to the Firewire. Then zero your internal drive* and take it in for internal drive replacement. Then reverse the process.

After that, use the external FW drive as part of a regular backup strategy as Duff-man said. Either buy Retrospect if you want the full meal deal, or look into Silverkeeper or Sync for a low cost solution.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

*'cause you don't want your data appearing on someone elses refurb machine or warranty replacement drive if Apple determines it's OK... has happened before.

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I kinda don't have the option to go out and buy an external. I have 2 other computers (windows machines) on my network at home that i can send files to. I already put all my important files and documents on the other machines in my house. I was just wondering if there was a way to clone my system and save it to another computer. It's not the end of the world if i can't. It might actually be better to start from scratch. I don't think i really have many system preferences to begin with. So it's not a major loss.

5. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Carbon Copy Cloner works great for cloning an entire system. I don't know if your able to clone your system to a windows drive though. To do a complete clone you may need to clone it to a Mac formated drive. Also you might be better off just backing up your files as if the drive is bad Carbon Copy Cloner dosen't always work completly.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Why not buy a firewire hard drive enclosure for around $20? Then you can just put your old HD in it and clone it to the new one. If it doesn't work, you're only out $20, and you've already backed up your critical files, right?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might want to try archiving your Library/Preferences folder, just in case you want to copy some of them back.

Also, make sure you have the keys for any software you've installed, or else it'll be gone for good (if possible, archive /Library and /Users/[youraccount]/Library to retain such info).

And, finally, just in case, deauthorize your system with iTMS, then reauthorize when things are working again. You probably don't need to, but it only takes a second.

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just got the new hard drive in. I basically have everything back besides some settings. Only wierd thing is when i go to install Toast i successfully install it but then when i click the icon in my dock, it mounts the dmg then it opens. Then it asks for my password. But i could hit cancel and the program still opens. I don't get how to fix this. Just incase you were wondering, no i didn't get it illegally.

9. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I thought CCC could copy to a network drive (which could be a windows machine)?