Getting a new internal HDD - Any great apps for switching over?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slvgx, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Slvgx macrumors member

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm going to be getting a new 2.5" SATA mobile drive for my MacBook and I want to take the stock one and pop it in an enclosure. What's the best way to get everything from my old internal one to the new? I want everything to be the same, prefs, bookmarks, user info, itunes info, etc.

I was going to format the new drive, pop in the install disc and hold "C" I think it is. I believe there is a OS X feature to transfer things over using USB or Firewire drive, is that right? Is there a better application or something I should know about how to transfer things over smoothly and as little of a headache as possible?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Easiest would probably be to use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy over the whole thing. Remember to turn on the make bootable option.

After you've made the switch and made sure that the new drive works and boots, it's usually a good idea to switch names around so that the replacement boot drive has the name you formerly used for the old one. Mac software is supposed to automatically deal with this, but software that uses the POSIX interface doesn't always do the right thing.
  3. M@lew macrumors 68000

Nov 18, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I just recently did this with SuperDuper. Here's some instructions on how to use the program.

Just remember that when you are restoring the data back onto the HD, to be running from the backup on your external, otherwise it won't function properly.
  4. islandman macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2006
    The URL above is a great resource for backing up and cloning your HDD. Highly recommended.