Getting a New Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mjstew33, Sep 16, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Well I really don't like taking chances after what happened to m other iBook G4 1.42:eek:. And I have to take my iBook to school back and forth everyday. Take it to school and then take it to my Mom's or my Dad's [whose ever day(divorced parents)]. And I really think that my iBook is going to get broken or something is going to happen. So my solution: get another computer. And the computer I'm going to get is the eMac. The iBook will come over if needed, but will primarily be used at my Dad's house. The eMac will be at my Mom's house. She is helping out A LOT - $500. I would use my PC but, she took it away from me as I was bringing my iBook over all the time so she was like, what they hey and gave it to my brother. I can't get it back. So, I'm stuck, and the eMac is the sollution.

Here are the specs:
    512MB SDRAM DDR333 - 1 DIMM
    160GB Ultra ATA drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
    Internal Bluetooth Module + AirPort Extreme Card
    Apple Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS - U.S. English
    1.42GHz PowerPC G4
    ATI Radeon 9600 w/64MB DDR video memory
    56K internal modem
    Integrated stereo speakers

I'm really happy with those specs. I don't mind the CRT. I'm also getting a Mighty Mouse.

Order Subtotal: $1,032.00
    Free Shipping: $0.00
    Estimated Tax: $64.50
    Estimated Total: $1,096.50

What do you think? Will this machine do me good? Should I save up some more for an iMac? (Money is limited)

I only need $351 for it.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i think that you should be fine getting an emac, its a good machine and will be comparable in performance to your ibook due to similar (albeit not identical) specs. up the ram if you want to.

i understand your problem with the moving of the ibook, but to put your mind to rest, it is designed to be put up with certain stresses (whithin reason):D so it can survive a short trip in a backpack everyday, you will probably see mostly physical wear and tear, and no hardware damage (unless you drop it).
    many would be inclined to say: what use is a portable if you dont use its portability?

in a matter of weeks i shall be carrying my powerbook around my new campus, but i did buy a special bag for it so im not that worried about it getting damaged. UNDUE CARE IS NEEDED!

if you are still paranoid, buy yourself a good protective case/bag (not a skintight sleeve).

or if you are still worried, go with the imac.

hope i have been a help

tastic

3. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i think that you should be fine getting an emac, its a good machine and will be comparable in performance to your ibook due to similar (albeit not identical) specs. up the ram if you want to.

i understand your problem with the moving of the ibook, but to put your mind to rest, it is designed to be put up with certain stresses (whithin reason):D so it can survive a short trip in a backpack everyday, you will probably see mostly physical wear and tear, and no hardware damage (unless you drop it).
    many would be inclined to say: what use is a portable if you dont use its portability?

in a matter of weeks i shall be carrying my powerbook around my new campus, but i did buy a special bag for it so im not that worried about it getting damaged. UNDUE CARE IS NEEDED!

if you are still paranoid, buy yourself a good protective case/bag (not a skintight sleeve).

or if you are still worried, go with the emac.

hope i have been a help

tastic

EDIT: MODERATORS PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST, ACCIDENTAL DOUBLE POST. THANKS

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That eMac will be great, the faster hard drive will help it eat your iBook for breakfast speed wise.

5. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yes, you have been of help. I think I'm probably still going to move the iBook around (just not as much) when needed - to update files between the 2. I'll definitley being upping the RAM, to probably 1.5GB, as I know that the eMac can take it.

iMac is just to expensive for me (13 years old :eek:)

[/lilstewart92]

6. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

A faster Hard Drive really does that much? Interesting. Thanks

[/lilstewart92]

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Sure does, the HDD in the eMac is 3000rpm faster than the one in the iBook. It makes a huge difference when the computer has to page in and out of the HDD. An iBook can be faster if you use a Firewire external 7200rpm drive and make it your boot drive.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish you well with your eMac. How soon will you purchase? Hope that you will be getting extra RAM and AppleCare.

Didn't realize that you were 13. You are quite accomplished for your age.

9. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I concur!

10. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

that emac should be fine

emacs are very underrated imo

11. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

I agree 100%.

12. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yes, eventually I will be getting ApplCare. RAM is the next thing right after the eMac. Yep, I'm 13 -- I mow lawns... have been all summer long. Probably made oh, maybe $2,000+... not sure the exact number, but it's very, very close to 2K if not more.

That is how I afforded my iBook, PC(last year - why did I waste my money!!!! :eek:, to-be eMac, iPod Photo 30GB.....

13. makeme macrumors member

I love my new eMac!

I love my new eMac. Definitely maximize your memory to one gigabyte and you will be surprised how well it performs.

Also, you should use your student discount and get a free iPod Mini like I did. Does anybody know if you can you still do that? You should ask about that when you purchase. I purchased both my new eMac and my new iBook at the Apple Retail Store where I live and it was a wonderful experience. Everybody was very helpful and they told me about the free iPod Mini deal.

I'm a very happy owner of a new eMac, new iBook and FREE iPod Mini.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

eMacs are awesome. You'll appreciate the screen, the hard drive and the GPU to name a few things. :)

15. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Those are all the the things the Mac mini didn't have - no screen - 80GB HDD compared to 160GB and 4200RPM compared to 7200RPM - ATi 9200 32MB compared to ATi 9600 64MB, 8x DUAL LAYER DVD+Burner compared to a DVD+RW 4x... blah blah blah.

I'm very excited! :)

16. obrien234 macrumors regular

not to sound mean or anything, but why do you need two mac's at 13? I mean I'm 18, at college, and I still run off a 400 MHz G3.

Secondly, iBooks are meant to be durable and portable. I think it can handle being carried around (especially with a sleeve and/or case)

Thirdly and most importantly, coming from a kid who is fresh into college and didn't realize how expensive living on your own is, you should save that money for something later in life. Instead of buying a new Mac (although it is tempting to get yourself a new mac, you don't need it) ask your mom is she will still give you the same amount if you want to invest your money. Save towards getting a car or towards school. Investing early is never a bad decision.

Having two Macs is not a bad setup, but usually people have a portable and desktop because they run processor extensive stuff on there desktop. If you're thinking about an eMac, its not because you need the processor power, its because you just want a new computer. I really believe you should hold off on a new computer for a while. Sorry to be reasonable, but everyone in these forums are so excited about new Macs they don't really think of their computing needs. But that's just my opinion.

17. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I agree 1000%. eMacs are great machines, and I plan on upgrading RAM on mine very soon! :)

18. Eluon macrumors regular

I agree with Obrien. Do you really need two mac's at 13? I have used my iBook for about 2 years+ now and it has never had any problems being carried around. It is a wonderful system and strong too.

Also, you can not use the education discount to get money off the computer. A poster above suggested it - and it is a great idea - however, it is only to college students right now. This is a fairly recent update to their store.

I hope this helps.

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The eMac is a better system than many people give it credit for.
    It actually has superior hardware to the mini or the iBook.
    The 17" CRT display is also very nice to work with.

Your mom will appreciate it's clean looks and ease of use, so really
    if you set it up so both of you can benefit from it why not?