Getting a new MacBook hard drive -- but what about old files?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alec, Jul 9, 2006.

1. alec macrumors regular

OK, so I'm very interested in upgrading the hard drive in my MacBook, and I know they are 2.5" form factor and the best I will get is 100 GB with 7200 RPM or 120 with 5400 RPM (btw, if anyone has suggestions about where to purchase, a link is always appreciated!).

My real concern is how will I get the files from my old HD onto my new one. And I don't mean Word documents, but the actual programs and OS. Will I be forced to reinstall X and all programs, or is there a way for me to say, make an image of my old hard drive, put it on a firewire drive, and then burn that image onto the new HD? Thanks!

2. tristan macrumors 6502a

You'll probably have to reinstall OSX and your apps and then move over your files using an external USB drive kit (about $40 I think). Or you could burn a bunch of DVDs of your data. It's a bit of a project, but unlike Windows, generally works correctly the first time, and is much easier to move over your preferences.

3. codo macrumors 6502

Gosh! Try and avoid this if you can. I've had to do it several times in the past, it’s just so tedious.

I'd do as Tristan suggested though, just reinstall OS X and applications then transfer your files over.

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

Oh one more suggestion -you could use your iPod. If you don't have a lot of data your iPod plus a couple DVDs might hold it all.

By the way you're kind of alluding to the "ideal" HD upgrader product which I think should exist but doesn't - an inexpensive device that connects your old laptop or desktop hard drive to your wired or wireless network. If that device existed, everyone would upgrade their hard drives and then hang the old one off their network and use it as attached storage for movies, music, etc. Anyone know of anything like that? (Besides buying another computer just to hold your old HD.)

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

Is there such a thing as USB <-> Sata enclosure?

You can just superduper everything over to the new drive using the enclosure and swop it.

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Or you can even use Disk Utility to make a read-only image of your HD and then restore it to the HD in the enclosure!

8. keirnna macrumors regular

keirnna

That is infact not what is needed. It explisitly says IDE enclousre. This goes form a 2.5" IDE HDD to a SATA connector. We need a SATA to USB Enclosure. I have yet to find one. I also can't get an img to work from my stupid Mac.

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

here is one.

10. keirnna macrumors regular

keirnna